Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So of course I got stuck by the man here in Idaho and got a notice that I needed to get my truck smogged. Like any other decent CTD owner I have straight piped my exhaust. I took the beast in hoping they'd just stick the probe in without performing the visual check. That didnt happen and they slapped me on the wrist and told me I had to get a Cat:doh: Not excited about this. Dont really have the money. Looking for easy and cheap ways to bypass or remedy this problem.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Your truck did not come with a cat and as far as I know there is no law that can require you to retrofit one to your truck at this time. I am not from Idaho, but I would venture a guess that you got some bad info.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your truck did not come with a cat and as far as I know there is no law that can require you to retrofit one to your truck at this time. I am not from Idaho, but I would venture a guess that you got some bad info.
This information is incorrect.
Your truck did come with a cat convertor.All 12Valves built on or after 1/01/94 had them. They all had them until the 24V came out,at which time they didnt need them to pass emissions tests.It is against federal law to remove or render inopperable a cat convertor.
If I were you,id look in the junkyards for a stock one,and throw it on,or punch it out,then throw it on and go get tested again.You will still pass an opacity with it gutted,just not a visual inspection.
I dont think you want to buy a new one.In NY state if the truck is not used commercially,they have to give you a waiver for a yr if the cost on a 10 yr old vehicle exceeds 600.00.Check your laws,a cat may cost that much new,so they may have to let you go.If the truck is registered commercial,there is no exemptions.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
OOPS thanks for correcting me! I thought they first came w a cat in 04.5!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts