Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck was working flawless up until this last weekend. Went camping with some friends and my buddy got stuck. I help pull him out and now my truck is down on power, boost will jump to 30psi but will not sustain and drops to 22psi and will not build any more. Kind of seems like I developed a small boost leak. What do you think and where should I start looking? Thanks

·
Registered
646 Posts
If it's loosing 8lbs of boost, I think you would hear it whistling under the hood somewhere.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's loosing 8lbs of boost, I think you would hear it whistling under the hood somewhere.
At idle it sounds normal, under load is when it looses boost. Can't hear anything out of the ordinary, only whistle I hear is the turbo noise thru the intake which has always been fairly loud with the Airaid intake.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quick and easy thing would be to check all the intercooler boots I would imagine.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
How many miles are on the truck? Is it having a tough time getting up to speed?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles are on the truck? Is it having a tough time getting up to speed?
Okay, here is a little more info from the week. The truck has about 57k miles, it was lacking power throughout the entire range. I am running the Edge Insight for gauges and the load would not go about 79% even pulling my 40' 5er. I did have me egr disconnected to try and gain a few mpg's and have done so for a while with no issues. I plugged it back in and cleared all associated codes and now it is running normal again. When I pulled my buddy out, he was stuck in the sand with his 5er hooked up. I did have a lot of wheel slip and the revs kept jumped up and down pretty severe while pulling him out. My only thought is that the combination of the two had sent me into a derate mode and once everything was reset and had a few days on it, the derate has cleared. Lets hope. Thx

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Did you happen to get P2262 for a code?
The best way to get someone out of the sand is a long HD tow rope/strap and get a running start. The rope will stretch and contract like a rubber band. Your forward motion will also help. If you were jumping all over the place, then you had too much air in the tires and had the skinny petal down way too far. I grew up on a sandy ranch and spent a lot of time driving up and down the beach.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you happen to get P2262 for a code?
The best way to get someone out of the sand is a long HD tow rope/strap and get a running start. The rope will stretch and contract like a rubber band. Your forward motion will also help. If you were jumping all over the place, then you had too much air in the tires and had the skinny petal down way too far. I grew up on a sandy ranch and spent a lot of time driving up and down the beach.
That code sounds familiar, I didn't write them all down so not 100% sure. what is that code again? Yeah I had full pressure in the tires, I hate to air down the dually unless absolutely necessary. That would have been the next step, but we manage to get some forward momentum and just stayed in it to get him out.

·
BLAHH BLAHH BLAHH
448 Posts
Don't know about you guys but air down or not once the tire start spinning the truck applies the brakes on the rear you can hold down the traction button but stability control kicks in and applies the brakes too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know about you guys but air down or not once the tire start spinning the truck applies the brakes on the rear you can hold down the traction button but stability control kicks in and applies the brakes too.
My truck does not have stability control, only ABS

·
BLAHH BLAHH BLAHH
448 Posts
Your lucky mine kicks in at 45mph drives me nuts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If your truck produced that code and it's very sluggish and not building boost, you could be looking at a shot turbo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my truck was working flawless up until this last weekend. Went camping with some friends and my buddy got stuck. I help pull him out and now my truck is down on power, boost will jump to 30psi but will not sustain and drops to 22psi and will not build any more. Kind of seems like I developed a small boost leak. What do you think and where should I start looking? Thanks
I’m having a similar problem my boost is bouncing between 8-20 lack of power no codes runs normal at idle I found it was bad fuel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts