Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted under General Forums before knowing about the Towing and Hauling Section....

I have a 2007 Mega Cab. H&S Mini Max Tuner, Sinister Deleted, 4 or 5 inch straight exhaust. Just purchased truck a few months ago. I have added air bags, new 3500 series springs on back,etc and had motor serviced, no oil leaks, etc,, only 156k miles. My question is I just towed for the first time this weekend and not any real mountainous terrain in SC but some hills. It was also only a 60 mile tow. My Coolant Temp GAUGE on truck moved slightly to the right but nothing significant, However, the H&S Mini Max tuner that came on truck showed temps swinging from 205 up to 222 when uphill. and a high coolant alarm came on... and as I was parking the camper the mini max showed 229 at one point... The truck gauge only barely moved to the right and it did not seem motor was getting overheated and no funny smells. I had the TUNER in TOW MODE and the TOW Button Engaged on the Shifter......Is this normal temperature behavior??? Also, when towing my 26ft triton, temps stayed around 205-210 on the same route.... I assume it has the 190'F Tstat, Not sure how to identify if the tuner is properly set up either...Person I purchased from stated they towed horse trailer goose neck regularly with no issues....Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am here researching your exact question on my O-Five 3500 DRW. Pulling the boat, I see temps 210 to 220 and assume the trans is slipping either in the TC or clutch packs. I have experienced the slip during upshifts when loaded and have to manage the skinny pedal to get it to upshift without high revving between shifts. I am going to slide under and adjust both bands before pulling again this weekend. Will probably change out the filter at the same time. Oh yeah I am also 158K and I have no idea if the trans has ever been refreshed. My temps occurred during a 90+ degree day but I still don't like those temps on the small hills we have. I wouldn't feel confident towing thru the mountains with the current trans situation.

I suspect he sold the truck either knowing or not that the trans was just starting to show signs of wear and you and I are both in the situation of running it out until the rebuild?? Maybe others will chime in on your question.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts