Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Normal Operating Temperature?

26K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  snowman475 
#1 ·
So, I'm not sure if this is normal or not but my truck seems to run a little on the warm side compared to previous trucks I have owned. I have only put 1500 miles on it so I'm still really green...

Outside temp tonight was 53 degrees and cruising at 70 on flat ground my temperature gauge sits right at 190-195 or so but going up a slight grade I notice that it climbed over the 200 mark... I thought I would test it and I got on it pretty good taking it to 85mph or so and my temp gauge was 210-215.

All readings are with the truck empty not towing anything. Does this sound normal or should I look at replacing the T-stat and flush the coolant?

Thanks for the advise

#3 ·
Not for very long... Maybe 20 seconds... The grade isnt very long... maybe a 500' incline over 1/2 mile... I was crusing at 70 and the needle was over the 200 mark...

Thanks for the reply

#4 ·
When I get to drive my gf's cr and play with 2/3 of the radiator blocked on a 50 plus degree day on the freeway at 75 on a 3-4% grade (small hills are unmarked so guessing) I never get over 200 maybe 202 203.

At that low elevation does seem a little strange.

Any programmer?

Real high timing with lots of duration could cause high temps.

Thinkin out loud

#5 ·
190-195 is normal... Getting over 200-205 that quick is not normal.
I can take a 2 mile long 5-6% grade and not top 200...
Only time I seen 205 was in the Mountains on winding dirt road @20-25 mph on about an 8-10% grade during mid-Summer...

#6 ·
No programmer, bone stock....Once I got off of it and over the hill the temps went back down to 190-195 fairly quickly

So since it seems not normal would I be best starting with a new T-stat and flushing the coolant? I'd like to get it under control before summer time.

Shouldn't the fan kick on with temps that high? I dont recall hearing it but I wasnt really listening for it.

#7 ·
mine will hit about 214 before the fan kicks in.
so im guessing these cummins like it warm.
towing in the summer workin hard the fan would kick in and cool it down.
normal driving (not towing) 190 - 195 is where she sticks

#10 ·
at idle im not sure if you would hear it, mine never kicks on at idle, so i dont know.
only when pulling hard. with the RPMs at about 17-1800 it sure makes a noise !
of course im runnin stock exhaust, so im not drowning it out with that noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.