Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the oil pressure on my truck. When I first start the truck it will go to the middle 40 mark on the gauge. Once I drive the truck and get it warm it will drop down just above the first white hash mark on gauge(between 0 and 40) when stopped at idle. then once on the throttle and up to speed it will go back up to the 40 mark. I was wondering if this is common or if it is something to look into. thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is a little low, should be around 35 or so warm at idle, and between 65 and 80 while driving, Mine never gets below 35 and it has 225k on the clock, try a fresh oil change and 1 quart of lucas in with the other oil. Should help a lot, good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was somewhat concerned, I've heard low oil pressure could be because of worn out bearings in the motor

·
Registered
160 Posts
Could be caused by any number of things, i would start with the basics and work your way to the problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
First things first....what year of 24valve engine do you have? And are you using the 12 valve sensors to run your dash? If you have a 2002 engine and you're using the 24 valve sensors and computer for the dash (updated dash???), then you have an oil pressure switch and the "gauge" is just a fancy dummy light. The ECM (computer) uses engine speed and coolant temperature to decide what the oil pressure probably is and sends a signal to the dash to show what it probably is.

Either way, hope you're oil pressure is good.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I was somewhat concerned, I've heard low oil pressure could be because of worn out bearings in the motor
Go down to the auto parts store and buy a $20 gauge, it will have the fittings to tap into the top of the oil filter housing. The oil pumps are mechanical and usually take something pretty drastic to fail. Smell your oil, is it full of fuel?

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,634 Posts
my 98 24v shows 65 and up all the time .....idle is 65 then climbs as the rpms do
:shock:

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine is never really accurate but it shows to make sure I acutally have some oil pressure. I periodically check it with a pressure sensor for my snap-on modis. I tried 2 brand new sensors once and they both gave slighly different readings right out of the box.

·
Registered
253 Posts
80-100psi cold and 60-80 psi warm with a new oil pump and my old one was 35-50 warm and 60-80 psi cold

·
Registered
32 Posts
little off topic, but quick question, can you pull the pan off in the truck in a 2wd application? an inframe would be cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.