Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm told my 2001 ECU may be causing this problem. When I turn on the key, without starting, the oil pressure goes up to normal operating pressure. When I start up -- the gauge doesn't move until I turn the truck off. There is no other signs of poor oil pressure( dealer put gauge on it and says its running normal) and the oil/filter are changed as directed. Is it true the oil pressure gauge is run by the ECU? Don't want to buy a new ECU but I guess I should be getting a mechanical oil gauge installed. Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
could be a bad sensor. if it were the ECU then you probably would get map sensor issues as well since the map and oil sensor share the same voltage supply and ground supply via the ECU. only caveat to this is the input wires are obviously not shared. so thats the only point where it could be the ECU.

Reactions: mopar25

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Might also have the oil pressure flash that causes the oil gauge to become a idiot light. So if the sensor is not getting to 0 PSI then the gauge pops up to normal position regardless...

I was always suggest back then NOT to take the flash because of this problem...

·
Registered
605 Posts
wow good info to know

·
Registered
64 Posts
ditto on the Oil PSI going to 40 with Key on, Figured it was the sensor and got a crazy ridiculous price for the sensor so I did an autometer gauge. Now I know if I have a real problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Might also have the oil pressure flash that causes the oil gauge to become a idiot light. So if the sensor is not getting to 0 PSI then the gauge pops up to normal position regardless...

I was always suggest back then NOT to take the flash because of this problem...
think a flash from a smarty will return it to original state?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Normal Oil Pressure

Thank you all for your info. I did have the Ram back to the dealer for an updated "flash" and it did Nothing to the oil pressure gauge. The tech did say the new flash may cause the fuel mileage to drop but I haven't found that to be the case. Someone earlier on another thread mentioned that the gauge is now like an idiot light in that when the needle goes up there is sufficient pressure but if the needle falls - then it acts like a red light idiot light warning you. I think I'll maintain my current ECU and get a mechanical gauge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts