Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RACE KTM
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As my signature says, my 2012 2500 Mega is leveled, and I'm running 35" MTs. 3:73s.

With this setup, but prior to deletes, my truck felt sluggish and anemic on the bottom end. Really choked up. And the fuel mileage sucked. Plain and simple. Of course, my tire choice and leveling the truck did not help the stock set up at all. Regardless, I wasn't happy with the truck's performance.

I've been real happy with my DPF delete, and other mods, including my H&S XRT PRO. I was, and still am, interested in maximizing performance and fuel mileage beyond stock H&S tuning.

While there are different ways to skin the tuning cat, for me, right now, I was interested in how timing would affect my rig's performance and fuel mileage, as our stock timing is set to make the EPA happy.

Tonight, I downloaded NC BTT tune-- tow, timing 2.

No timing rattle at idle on initial cold start up. I could hear some faint timing rattle as I accelerated easily, but the coolant had only warmed up to about 150. Once the truck was warmed up thoroughly, I could not hear anything but power! With this tune, the truck is very strong and responsive off the bottom.

Initial 15 mile trip on eastern NC flat land, at 70 MPH the EVIC showed 16.7 MPG. Returning at a slightly slower 65 MPH, the EVIC showed 19.3 MPG.

No telling what I could get at 55 MPH, but that's not anywhere close to how I drive or tow. So, for me, it's unrealistic to EVIC 55 MPH for anything but fun!

With regards to MPH, people have to be realistic. As I've posted before, the decrease in fuel mileage is exponential as speed increases. No matter what! You cannot tune away all the wind resistance on our oversized-tire clad, rolling billboards!

While the NC BTT can definitely give us the power and fuel mileage, the EPA has managed to steal from us, you have to remember the laws of physics!!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Honestly those numbers seem a little low. I wonder how much the leveling kit hurts mileage.

I have 35s and I have no problem getting a consistent 19mpg at 75mph (averaged on 70mile relatively flat trip)

I would ask Norcaler and try a different level perhaps.

·
RACE KTM
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Honestly those numbers seem a little low. I wonder how much the leveling kit hurts mileage.

I have 35s and I have no problem getting a consistent 19mpg at 75mph (averaged on 70mile relatively flat trip)

You are getting some good mileage! No doubt, the leveling kit hurts aerodynamics! Wayyy too much air under my truck! I'm 6'2", and I just can grab the hood latch to lower the hood!!! I swear I'm on my tip toes to look into the engine bay!

Also, I'm running tow fueling, not street or performance! Tow fueling typically returns the lowest mileage.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mines leveled. And I get 18-19 mpg.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Reactions: NC4stroker

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm running big tire tune tow/2/no att and consistently avg 16 to 17 mpg hand calculated mixed driving. I'm running 6in lift and 35's 3.73. I ran street fueling when I first got the tune but didn't really get a good mixed driving tank out of it. I did some short trips(50 and 75 miles) on the hwy and evic stayed above 20mpgs on street fueling running a consistent 72mph. Overall very happy with the tune and I will be switching back to street fueling now that I have gauges.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mines leveled and today when I checked my evic it showed 18.0 with the mods in my sig. We all know that isn't right but still that's pretty darn good if you ask me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 4" lift and 35's running the original NoCaler tune. Hot Damn no ATT, timing on 4, Performance. I make the run to Austin 3-4 times per month from Ft Worth. I always run 75-85 on the trip and I consistently ave 19-21 depending on wind and traffic flow.

·
RACE KTM
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 4" lift and 35's running the original NoCaler tune. Hot Damn no ATT, timing on 4, Performance. I make the run to Austin 3-4 times per month from Ft Worth. I always run 75-85 on the trip and I consistently ave 19-21 depending on wind and traffic flow.
Yeah, I would get better mileage turning things up, but I'm on the conservative side!

If you went 60MPH, you'd get 30 MPG. LOL

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

no problem getting 19 @ 75 mph? hand calculated, you consistently get 19? what do you get going 60-65?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I think your conversion of km to mi and L to gal must be a little off.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Are you asking if I have one of your tunes? No I don't I have seen some of them though.

It's all my own tuning, I would be happy to share what's been working for me though.

I'm not try to compete or sell anything as long as people are happy with what they have that's all I care about. I just think the original poster should be able to squeeze a few more mpg out of his truck.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Are you asking if I have one of your tunes? No I don't I have seen some of them though.

It's all my own tuning, I would be happy to share what's been working for me though.

I'm not try to compete or sell anything as long as people are happy with what they have that's all I care about. I just think the original poster should be able to squeeze a few more mpg out of his truck.
Interesting.

Most of my customers favor the more conservative side and ask for tuning that protects the transmission and the stock head bolts. Most people are willing to leave some mpg margin on the table in trade for longevity from their equipment. My customers are aware that they can get higher mpg's simply by toggling their mini max from tow to street to performance, but they choose to leave it on the tow setting. NC4Stroker who is the original poster of this thread got exactly what he asked for and that is a safe efficient tune for his new truck. Since he is an XRT Pro user, he can reload the tune to a higher power/fueling level and see an increase in mpg's if he desires. These H&S products have proven to be very versatile and meet a wide range of customer needs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
My tuning is fairly conservative as far as timing. I am using close to street fueling so it might not be nice to the tranny haha.

I am just surprised as all he isn't getting a touch better, one thought being Ryan just found a bunch of timing maps that weren't being changed before so a new update might help.

You actually said a while ago testing your original tune when you drove the truck hard the mileage would be crap for the next 10 mins. Well mine did the same thing, what was happening is it switched timing maps and would take a wile to come back onto the original one, with his new definition files for mcc that cured that.

Sorry to hijack I'm all done.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My tuning is fairly conservative as far as timing. I am using close to street fueling so it might not be nice to the tranny haha.

I am just surprised as all he isn't getting a touch better, one thought being Ryan just found a bunch of timing maps that weren't being changed before so a new update might help.

You actually said a while ago testing your original tune when you drove the truck hard the mileage would be crap for the next 10 mins. Well mine did the same thing, what was happening is it switched timing maps and would take a wile to come back onto the original one, with his new definition files for mcc that cured that.

Sorry to hijack I'm all done.

Ya it's called self preservation. The truck is smart enough to know when you put the hurt on it and it will temporarily grab another map to protect itself. I think its a good thing to protect your investment. MCC has its purposes, but its not my style to remove limiters that are there for a reason and its not my style to push my fuel pump to its max limits and run my Diesel engine over 3000 rpm's.

Like I said before their are niche markets to support and highly modified trucks and customers who race is not my target audience. Once I find that I have provided enough efficiency tunes and the market is saturated; I will then pursue tuning via MCC.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

My conversions are correct. This was a 60mph 100kmh

what did it hand calculate to be?
what size tires do you have programed into your tuner?
measuring by hand, how tall is your tire from the ground to the center of the hub?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts