Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fan Howles From Time To Time. Especially When I Step Into It At Stop Lights. I'm Not Gunning It Real Hard But Stepping Up. The Only Thing Different Around It Is When I Rebuilt My Tranny I Replaced The Stock Cooler With 2 10"x 15" S-flow Coolers. Is It Not Pulling Enough Air Because Of These (cavitating), Or Is My Fan Clutch About To Go? Another Couple Questions Along This Line. The Fan Is 1 3/4" From The Radiator. Has Anyone Moved It Closer? And Has Anyone Replaced The Stock Fan With Electric Fans?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Electric fans like the set from Flex-a-lite are good for cooler engine temps, more HP/Torque, and cooler A/C output. Expensive compared to the stock clutch fan, but worth it.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Electric fans like the set from Flex-a-lite are good for cooler engine temps, more HP/Torque, and cooler A/C output. Expensive compared to the stock clutch fan, but worth it.
I dont know how elect.fans could be good for cooler engine temps when theres no way they put as much air throw the radiator as a stock one you wont gain anything moving the fan closer to the radiator.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think the third gens howl pretty good when the clutch kicks in . Mines noticable with the air on and just starting out from idle.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What is happening, is that the fan clutch only kicks on when it needs to, and when it does, it is direct drive. Perfectly normal. Nothing aftermarket is as good. Electric fans are short on volume of flow, and less efficient, plus they put a pretty stout load on your alternator. The factory fan is HUGE and moves a lot of air. That makes noise.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
What is happening, is that the fan clutch only kicks on when it needs to, and when it does, it is direct drive. Perfectly normal. Nothing aftermarket is as good. Electric fans are short on volume of flow, and less efficient, plus they put a pretty stout load on your alternator. The factory fan is HUGE and moves a lot of air. That makes noise.
I have an elec. fan clutch on mine with a 10 blade fan it free wheels until its need then kicks in or I can turn on manually the ultimate setup.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I have an elec. fan clutch on mine with a 10 blade fan it free wheels until its need then kicks in or I can turn on manually the ultimate setup.
What brand is that. As thats what I'm looking for or trying to put a 3rd gen electric fan clutch and fan on my truck. Pm would probably be the best way to get ahold of me as I don't get on here much.

Thanks Robert

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
This is a Horton setup.Dodge sold them and are not available anymore so I used the clutch part from a IH 466 and made different shaft and nut along with a different fan. it works awesome.I leave the fan on when its hot in traffic.

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
Electric fans are great till you put a real load on the engine.
There's no way an electric can pull as much as the 23 hp the stock fan does when it locks up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts