Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I relize diesel's are loud and that being the norm. But mine when I shift into 3rd or 4th and give it alot of throttle. I hear a tapping sound not real loud but kinda faint. I've adjusted the valves to proper spec but I still have this kinda tapping sound coming from the engine bay when I lug or load the engine with alot of throttle after shifting into 3rd and 4th. Is this normal for a 2nd gen cummins to be kinda excessively noisy. To the point you hear some tapping at different rpm's under various load conditions? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think it's normal, though I've read on here that it could be a bad injector.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think it's normal, though I've read on here that it could be a bad injector.
Yeah, tell your wife its the injectors and get some performance ones. Then if that doesn't work, you can upgrade something else :thumbsup

Otherwise, i've never heard a tapping in mine...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I relize diesel's are loud and that being the norm. But mine when I shift into 3rd or 4th and give it alot of throttle. I hear a tapping sound not real loud but kinda faint. I've adjusted the valves to proper spec but I still have this kinda tapping sound coming from the engine bay when I lug or load the engine with alot of throttle after shifting into 3rd and 4th. Is this normal for a 2nd gen cummins to be kinda excessively noisy. To the point you hear some tapping at different rpm's under various load conditions? Thanks for any help
Mine tapped loud in cold weather...then realized that my VP was causing the tapping..all said and done...ended up changing VP and adding a FASS 95 HPFP...and tapping almost went away completely...I started using wally world outboard 2stroke oil with every tank...and now much quieter...but still a faint tapping. I think it's because I need to get my valves adjusted..it's time for it..or like others have said..might be injectors...which I'm planning to replace anyways...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would a good injector be for all around performance and towing without any egt problems?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Bosch RV275's, one of my next mods for sure, lots of info on this forum about them as well.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
my preference would be the DDP injectors...they are very popular and reliable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts