Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put on 35 inch Toyos yesterday. Now I notice a weird groan noise when I leave a stop. It only happens for the first few feet. Whats really weird is it also happens as I come to a stop. I'm worried it might be that the trans doesn't like the tires. I have a SRW 3500 with a 3.73 rear end.

Any ideas what may be going on?

·
Registered
207 Posts
dont think the trans even notices the difference to be honest.

id guess it was your brakes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You must have some aggresive tires. Is this the first time you have had tires like these? Whenever you put onj some mud terains or something like that, you get a vibration like bumping feeling when you take off and stop. It is just the way those type tires are.

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,126 Posts
The loudest tires I have had were Super Swamper Boggers 35x16x15. It sounded like a helicopter. The lugs are so agressive you didnt need to use brakes at the lights. Just left off the gas and thump to a stop.

·
Registered
207 Posts
id just assumed this was something on top of the significantly louder tire noise. but yea...goin from the stockers to a mudterrain is a 10fold increase in noise.

although I dont notice anything special from a stop.

oh and everything should have boggers on it from the factory =)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've had the Toyo MTs, they really aren't loud at all. I don't think it's your tires' tread, maybe the balance or something?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I think its the aggressive tread pattern. My BFG KM2s do it too, as do both of my buddies trucks with the Toyo M/Ts. Once your past about 10-15mph it stops.

·
Registered
207 Posts
its the tread my stt's do the same thing scared me at first.

·
Pipeliner
770 Posts
hey i have 35'' toyos too its just when you are driving really slow, because of the aggressive tread patern u get that noise and vibration!! it has noting too do with allingnment i brought mine in and the allingnment is perfect!! you will get use too it i did!!lol

·
Registered
390 Posts
Explain the groan noise better. I have Toyo mt's but they are only like 34's and they are siped. If the noise is a little metalic it could be the added leverage of the tires making your springs wrap/squeak a little.......? I know I had a toyota that did that but these springs are just a LITTLE stiffer/stronger...lol. My tires with the siping sound like I'm spinning a little when I take off. Good tread where so far though.

·
Registered
884 Posts
All you guys need a ride in a truck equipped with a Bogger or TSL. After 3 years of Bias TSL life I'm afraid my STT's dont make enough noise.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are right, it is the tires. I can drive at a walking speed and hear the noise. On soft dirt it doesn't happen. I have not had M/T tires before so I was surprised. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
All you guys need a ride in a truck equipped with a Bogger or TSL. After 3 years of Bias TSL life I'm afraid my STT's dont make enough noise.
I had TSL's on my old Jeep for my wheeling tires. You're not kidding :hyper:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Yeah no kidding i miss the good ole days. I really wish interco would come out with some update wheel sizes for their boggers. Would love a 39" bogger with some good width for a 17-18" wheel:drool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts