Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
eng sounds noiser than before,never adjusted my valves yet 132,000,friend of mine said shouldn't touch them till about 160,000?does injecters quit eng??

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
your friend ain't that smart haha...they need adjusted at around 100k...and yes that will shut up the clatterer that is the 24 valve

·
Registered
266 Posts
Valve adjustment is a very worth while maintenance practice on a vp truck.

Different injectors may quiet it down, but not for everyone. Depends on what they are

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks boys thats what i thought,hes full of smoke,he,he,ha,ha

·
Registered
963 Posts
What ive found out when i did my adjustment at 120k is that it doesnt actually QUIET the engine down, it just gives it a different tone. But far from lowering the noise no way. Also none of my valves were over 1 thousands off. So i dont know if that has something to do with it. I wonder if somebody else has had their valves way out of adjustment?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
by the way did the injectors quiet down your motor any ,tone is kinda [noise] what i ment it just sounds differnt ,still has lots of power ,

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you set your valves to .008 Intake and .016 Exhaust it will quiet the engine a little and also provide a little power boost because of the longer duration of lift and higher lift and better overlap. It is also within specs from Cummins. The other thing that will help quiet the engine just a bit but noticeable is adding two cycle oil to the fuel at 1oz. per gal of fuel every time you fill up. It will also provide lubrication to your VP44.:thumbsup:

Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya i use that,and powerservice,thankyou for the imput it was very helpful .

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Don't over do it with the power service. There was some testing done and it took away lubricity from the fuel. I'll use the 2 stroke oil but am not a fan of much else...JMO Bio diesel provides good lubrication.

Go ahead and adjust the overhead. I did mine at 100k and it was a little off. I'm at 180k miles and I'll do it again at 200k. Even if they don't need adjustment it never hurts to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts