Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me out. I have a stock 2006 Dodge 2500 with the factory 48re. Of course I’ve had the valve issues which I replaced in the past but this is different. I have been having to baby my truck for almost a year because if I apply too much torque I hear a strange noise (it radiates to the rear end) and it feels as if something is slipping. I let out, it grabs, and I ease back in. I can make it do it anytime in 1st or 2nd gear but that may be because I can apply max torque there, not sure. I have had the band adjusted and it still continues. I have had slipping transmissions before and they make no noise when they slip. I’m grasping at straws at this point. Has anyone experienced this? Bad torque converter maybe? Idk?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That’s called over torquing the tires! Do you get a white/blue smoke coming from the rear of the truck when this is happening?

Lol ok in all reality, try to explain the best that you can the noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like maybe some type of friction disk slipping. Hard to explain. Like a flapper wheel hitting a work bench lol. You can slightly feel a vibration as well. If I didn’t know better you would think it was in the rear end as that’s where the noise seems to transfer out from. Only when I apply moderate to heavy load. But, once I’m in 3rd or 4th it will hold what ever I dish out. I will say have have changed the rear end fluid out and it all looked good inside from what I could see.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Does the transmission get warmer while this is happening?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that I can tell, but I have no aftermarket temp gauge for it. I can make it do it at any time. My truck is stock. Well for the time being. Oh and I don’t believe I have been able to make it do it in reverse yet.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
should perform proper road test
Perform hydraulic pressure test if shift problems were noted during road test.
Perform air-pressure test to check clutch-band operation.
with noises tough to tell, report back

ROAD TESTING
Before road testing, be sure the fluid level and control cable adjustments have been checked and adjusted if necessary.

Verify that diagnostic trouble codes have been resolved.

Observe engine performance during the road test. A poorly tuned engine will not allow accurate analysis of transmission
operation.

Operate the transmission in all gear ranges. Check for shift variations and engine flare which indicates slippage.
Note if shifts are harsh, spongy, delayed, early, or if part throttle downshifts are sensitive.

Slippage indicated by engine flare, usually means clutch, band or overrunning clutch problems. If the condition is
advanced, an overhaul will be necessary to restore normal operation

A slipping clutch or band can often be determined by comparing which internal units are applied in the various gear
ranges.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can say that the the “slippage” does not seem to be associated with a shift to another gear. I can also make it do it with it manually shifted into 1st gear as well. Would this eliminate anything?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
with info your providing no
different clutches bands are applied in different gears
so need to check and document what trans does in each gear

If it happens in all gears, Good fluid/filter , check pressures
any metallic metal, and or brass aluminum debris in pan?
physically look at convertor thru inspection cover obvious damage/leaks ?

What happens in
Reverse

Drive -First

Drive -Second

Drive -Third

Drive -Fourth

Manual Second

Manual First

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll play with it a little more and see what the results are. Thanks for the assistance all! I’m thinking torque converter or transmission. We shall see I hope. Just don’t want to be on the side of the road one day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts