Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I was watching an install of a single turbo, and he wasn't running a wastegate. I thought you needed one? Or is it based off your injectors that determines how much boost you will make? I did a search and all I could find was people running large injectors and high hp. I'm not looking to do that. I plan to run the S300sx3-S66 Borg. Thanks

Here's the clip

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
You don't have to run a wastegate. It all depends on what you plan to do with your truck and sizing everything (fuel, turbine wheel & housing) to your intended use. It's becoming very common to run a single S300 charger with the .91 non-wastegated turbine housing. There are advantages and disadvantages to both setups.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't have to run a wastegate. It all depends on what you plan to do with your truck and sizing everything (fuel, turbine wheel & housing) to your intended use. It's becoming very common to run a single S300 charger with the .91 non-wastegated turbine housing. There are advantages and disadvantages to both setups.
I'm planing on running the borg S363, ats manifold, 60% injectors, and FASS lift pump.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a fleece cheetah as my primary in my compound setup. That setup was on when I bought the truck. I found some service records in the glove box saying the ARP 425 studs were stretched due to the wastegate not being used. I am not saying the previous guy didn't abuse the truck, but I personally would have and use one as easy insurance. Or have a drive pressure gauge at least temporarily to make sure pressures didn't get too high should the go-fast bug decide to bite.

Caveat: I am in no way a vastly experienced common rail guru like some of these other guys. This is just my opinion and how I would do my own truck. Another reason I would and will run one though. I don't trust my own calculation to have a perfectly matched setup. If I am wrong please correct me. I like learning what I can.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a fleece cheetah as my primary in my compound setup. That setup was on when I bought the truck. I found some service records in the glove box saying the ARP 425 studs were stretched due to the wastegate not being used. I am not saying the previous guy didn't abuse the truck, but I personally would have and use one as easy insurance. Or have a drive pressure gauge at least temporarily to make sure pressures didn't get too high should the go-fast bug decide to bite.

Caveat: I am in no way a vastly experienced common rail guru like some of these other guys. This is just my opinion and how I would do my own truck. Another reason I would and will run one though. I don't trust my own calculation to have a perfectly matched setup. If I am wrong please correct me. I like learning what I can.
I thought the 425 head studs were good. That's what I'm running. How much hp are you running?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't really say. I bought the truck in September last year and have been mostly attending to other things this last dude neglected, like track bar bushings. Previous owner tried to tell me 1000hp but he didn't have any dyno sheets to prove it. I have had the 37s spinning in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th before I let up though. I have the ATS 7500 kit with the cheetah primary, 100% injectors, twin CP3s, and confirmed I now have ARP 625 studs. I don't drive it very hard but give it a good pull every now and again. I'd say I'm at least 700+ though. I get about 50-60lbs boost when in my performance tune and getting after it. I'm sure the 425s are excellent and would serve you well, but again I will always run a wastegate. Easier than lifting your head anyways.

Reactions: cumminORnot

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure the 425s are excellent and would serve you well, but again I will always run a wastegate. Easier than lifting your head anyways.
Yea I hear that. I'm looking to do around 35-40psi. Around 500whp? Guess I'm gonna look into a gate. My problem is going internal or external gate.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Yea I hear that. I'm looking to do around 35-40psi. Around 500whp? Guess I'm gonna look into a gate. My problem is going internal or external gate.
Stick with an internal wastegate, the external wastegates require more maintenance to keep them working properly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You would most likely need a wastegate, however this would depend on your particular build. If you have enough fuel it is very easy to over spool the turbo and cause major turbo failure. Always a good idea to have a wastegate in place to avoid failure.

Reactions: cumminORnot

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Boost numbers are irrelevant to HP numbers. One guy could make 450 HP with 45 PSI while another guy makes 600 HP with 25 PSI.

What are the specs of the 363?
Unless you plan on upgrading your CP3, you're paying for more injector than your CP3 is capable of fueling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a wastegate set for 35psi for safety. I plan on running 30%(75hp) injectors. It would be installed by now but being 100+ out, I'm in no rush haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts