Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 5.9 124k automatic ..the dealer says it was tuned but they didn't get the tuner with the truck,is their anyway to tell if it really was tuned ? could i get a new (ecm ?) or a re-flash and start over .

·
Registered
873 Posts
The simple answer for an 05 is that you can have the dealer reflash the ecm.

Other possible options that depend on the possible tune that is installed.
1. You can get HPTuners, pull the stock tune file (not actually read from the ecm but generated by hptuners) and then flash the ecm yourself. Either with a stock tune or an adjusted one. This is what I did for my 05 when I bought the truck with a mild unknown tune.
2. Get a smarty or MM3 and do the same as with the HPTuners. Key difference is going to be how you get the stock tune. I am not certain about how that is exactly done with the Mads electronics systems.

The 04.5/05 is different from other years and the ecm cannot be read to actually retrieve the stock file directly from it. Other years work differently.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
They're in violation of federal law selling a tuned truck in the first place.
They should reflash it at the very least on the house.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're in violation of federal law selling a tuned truck in the first place.
They should reflash it at the very least on the house.
is that true and if so could you direct me to the site ,never heard of that cuz i have seen a few for sale by other dealerships.thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If you live in an area that doesn't do emissions testing, the dealership won't care one bit. Mostly because you'd find it impossible to prove and get them in trouble.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yea most don't even care. They're ways to detect a flashed ecm. One is with the new pods that the techs have nowadays. You hook up the pod to the truck, turn the key on, and it will establish connection. If it detects a tune it will say vehicle ecm or pcm software unknown or not oem.

·
Registered
651 Posts
is that true and if so could you direct me to the site ,never heard of that cuz i have seen a few for sale by other dealerships.thanks for the heads up
I'd like to see this as well.

As far as I understand, there are no Federal laws that prevent a dealer from selling a USED vehicle with an outstanding or incomplete safety recall. New car sales and new rentals are a different story....all recalls must be completed before the NEW vehicle is sold.

What I would check on though is the state or local jurisdiction requirements where the vehicle is being sold to determine what, if any, vehicle and inspection/emissions compliance would apply in advance of the sale and to re-register the vehicle.The seller may be required to restore the engine computer back to original operating condition or parameters so that the vehicle would be compliant with any applicable emissions rules,as they would apply. Here's a link to U.S. States and their vehicle emissions requirements....

If the State/jurisdiction does require the vehicle to be emissions compliant at the time of sale, I would negotiate the reflash of the computer back to OEM (with all factory updates) with the seller as a condition of the sale.

Reactions: chelan41

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yes there are no federal laws, but if you own a Chrysler dealership, and for example a customer trades in a Dodge Journey, you inspect the car and find it has 2 recalls, those recalls must be performed before the vehicle is sold from the dealership otherwise Chrysler will come down hard on the dealership it’s self. No matter how small like a side mirror switch or as big as a putting new axles.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes there are no federal laws, but if you own a Chrysler dealership, and for example a customer trades in a Dodge Journey, you inspect the car and find it has 2 recalls, those recalls must be performed before the vehicle is sold from the dealership otherwise Chrysler will come down hard on the dealership it’s self. No matter how small like a side mirror switch or as big as a putting new axles.
Good to hear Chrysler has a corporate policy and "discipline"in effect regarding...That alone gives the customer some peace of mind and provides for credibility! I bought my truck from a Chrysler dealer and I am glad I did.In my search, I found a lot of used vehicles that were sketchy...Granted mine wasn't the greatest out there but then again it was no where near the worst and it wasn't new. And the dealer stood behind the product and sale when I tried to register it and have it inspected in my home state. After the sale,the selling dealer paid for all the needed repairs (parts and labor) in order for it to pass my home state inspection (they paid for missing bed side lights, rear taillight lamp board, new exhaust system, and windshield repair).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts