Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Just completed a P-pump swap on a 99 & turned out very nice. A few bugs that got worked out, but it's running & my last thing is getting the tach to work. The crank sensor is still installed & plugged in (actually never unplugged this sensor in the process). The volt meter shows that the alternator is charging which my understanding is the ECM uses crank signal for both of these. The only trouble code I have is related to connection between ECM & VP44 (which of course doesn't exist now).

One note that I make just in case. At some point in the past, someone changed a wire coming off the TPS & going to the computer on the passenger side firewall (behind air filter). I removed the added in wire & reconnected it as it should be. I'm not sure if this was because of a wiring issue or some attempted modification.

With a scan tool connected it shows engine speed at the crank sensor, but nothing on the cam sensor. Everything I've read says tach & alternator take signal from crank & not cam on the 99s, but is that true? Could it be that the tach is off the cam sensor? I did have problems with the cam sensor bottoming out against the cam gear & had to add a couple washers to space it properly in the adapter.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
As far as I know the alt and tach work off the cam sensor. My '02 doesn't even have a crank sensor to the best of my knowledge, so mine may be different.

You say the alt works, but no tach signal from cam sensor right? I would say replace the sensor. Or remove those washers and get it to sit right. It should not be bottoming out.. That sensor reads of spaces on a plate on the back of the cam gear. If it's not in the proper place, it probably won't read, or that plate on the back of the gear is damaged.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did the ppump conversion on my 99 cummins and did not use the cam sensor and my tach works. You should be able to remove the cam sensor completely. I removed mine.

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
As far as I know the alt and tach work off the cam sensor. My '02 doesn't even have a crank sensor to the best of my knowledge, so mine may be different.

You say the alt works, but no tach signal from cam sensor right? I would say replace the sensor. Or remove those washers and get it to sit right. It should not be bottoming out.. That sensor reads of spaces on a plate on the back of the cam gear. If it's not in the proper place, it probably won't read, or that plate on the back of the gear is damaged.
come on brain have i learnt you nothing?! :spank:

98.5-00 ONLY use the crank sensor for the tach signal.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
come on brain have i learnt you nothing?! :spank:

98.5-00 ONLY use the crank sensor for the tach signal.
You never told me that!

I was just trying to be helpful:kaboom:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
its only in every other ppump swap thread. sheesh
If you're going to publicly humiliate me on the internet, at least make me look smart.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You already succeeded in that aspect with the t-case fiasco. LOL
Says the guy with welds on his truck that looked like they were done by 3 year olds with a torch and a steel plate.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
come on up and weld er up if you think you can do better buddy ol pal. >:)
Pay my air fare and buy me a case of blue moon. I'll teach ya the right way to glue a couple pieces of metal together

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts