Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck has been giving me all sorts of problems but I have zero codes. Started having hard starts now sometimes it starts just fine and sometimes it will not start at all without a shot of ether(I know its not good). I have new batteries and all new cables. I'm to the point of wanting to just crash this . Once started with a shot of ether it runs just fine. If you shut it down and try to start it again sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. I have good fuel pressure on my CTS. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
370 Posts
Get a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on there. Cant really trust the electric gauge senders all the time. How did you check the codes? Only an actual scanner will read all the codes. It sounds like you might be getting air in the system somewhere. Do you have any fuel leaks anywhere? What is your fuel pressure before and on start up? I have also heard that if the pressure is too high, it will cause a hard start as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just read the codes with my CTS. Thought it would read all codes but I will try a buddys scanner and manual gauge. It is reading 18-20. What I don't get is why it wont start right back up after shutting it down but if you wait a minute or two then it will start. I can't see any fuel leaks but I also think I am getting air somewhere. I just changed the O-rings on the back of the head on the return line and tightened up the tee fitting. It was a little loose

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you splice in a piece of clear tubing right before the VP you will be able to see air bubbles if air is getting in the system. Make sure you bleed all the air out after you put that tubing in. That is really the only way to tell if you are getting air in the system anywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts