Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first tread but i just got this truck last monday. 02 2wd auto with 62k on it. was worried about lift pump even though truck ran great. so i opened the drain on the filter. key off and got a steady trickel then with drain open i turned the key to on but did not start and the flow didnt change.

i took out the filter and drained tried turing the key on and no fuel entered the bowl. i put the filter back on and started it. it ran for a bout 5 sec then quit and wont start at all. i hooked a fuel pressure tester to the s. valve and it showed 0.

please help is there any way to get this started again?:CRY:

p.s i did refill the bowl and still no start

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
when you turn the Key to the ON position bump the starter but dont crank it just bump it and then leave it in the on position and listen carefully and see if you can hear the lift pump going by doing what you did you aloud ALOT of air in your system..
my first tread but i just got this truck last monday. 02 2wd auto with 62k on it. was worried about lift pump even though truck ran great. so i opened the drain on the filter. key off and got a steady trickel then with drain open i turned the key to on but did not start and the flow didnt change.

i took out the filter and drained tried turing the key on and no fuel entered the bowl. i put the filter back on and started it. it ran for a bout 5 sec then quit and wont start at all. i hooked a fuel pressure tester to the s. valve and it showed 0.

please help is there any way to get this started again?:CRY:

p.s i did refill the bowl and still no start

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
the only other thing I can say is do the key trick turn your key on,off,on,off,on and leave it on the third time and look at your odometer and see if any codes pop up and let us know what you see.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got it going. learning more about diesels every day. i figured i got air in the system but thought the lift pump would push it out. i cracked the injector lines that i could get to easily 3 on the back of the pump and cranked it till it spit out fuel and started. let it run like crap for a sec then shut it down and tighten all back up.

it now starts easy and runs good. funny thing is i know what to listen for with a lift pump. (had a 6.5) could not hear it now i can. i wiggled the wire connection a bit maybe that helped.

glad to have a cummins now

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts