Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Had a pretty frustrating weekend. I posted in another thread about having trouble starting my truck. It seemed with the majority of the replies that I recieved, I needed to install a starter solenoid rebuild kit. I installed the rebuild kit this weekend, put the starter back in the truck, and tried to crank her over. NOTHING!!:doh::banghead: Same problem as before. When I turn the key I hear a single click, and thats it. It doesn't even try to turn over. Anybody have any ideas on what direction I should go now (batteries, new starter, replace battery terminals. etc.???):confused013:

:S:Thank you guys for any help.:S:

-Chris-

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I just had to replace the key swtich in my truck.
I wasnt doin nothing either, so I took the column apart took the switch out and on the back part of the switch the is a pin sticking out push on that and see if it cranks, if it does you probably goin to need new keys. I cost about 70 bucks.

·
Registered
736 Posts
have you tested the starter to see if it is working? mine did that and it was one of the small wires on the drivers side battery. for giggles try it in neutral ,alsoone other check.might be a safety switch came unplugged on the transmission..im sure you checked all the fuses on the driver side fender.but wiggle em again, 96 is gettin long in tooth, corrosion attacks everywhere.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I had the same problem with mine one day, turned out that the battery cable clamps were not making full contact with the terminals on the battery, check this out and let me know if you had any luck!

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Could be the neutral safety switch.
Until I replaced mine it would do the same as yours unless I pulled the shifter down then slammed it back up into park.
The clicking you hear might be just the shutdown solenoid, not the starter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had to replace the key swtich in my truck.
I wasnt doin nothing either, so I took the column apart took the switch out and on the back part of the switch the is a pin sticking out push on that and see if it cranks, if it does you probably goin to need new keys. I cost about 70 bucks.

What are some other symptoms that would be associated with having to replace the key switch. I'm just asking before I take the column apart?

Thanks,

-Chris-

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you tested the starter to see if it is working? mine did that and it was one of the small wires on the drivers side battery. for giggles try it in neutral ,alsoone other check.might be a safety switch came unplugged on the transmission..im sure you checked all the fuses on the driver side fender.but wiggle em again, 96 is gettin long in tooth, corrosion attacks everywhere.

How do you "test" the starter? I tried last night to start the truck in neutral and nothing. Sam symptoms. What do you mean by a safty switch? Sorry for all the dumb questions. Just tring to learn.:confused013:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as I know, the clicking sound from starter means you have almost dead battery.

Thats what I was hoping. I am taking my batteries in today to be tested. I tried jumping the truck and all I get is a single click sound?:confused013:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had the same problem with mine one day, turned out that the battery cable clamps were not making full contact with the terminals on the battery, check this out and let me know if you had any luck!

I checked out the terminals last night. I may have to replace the termnals. Look to be pretty beat up. Does anybody know how hard it is to replace these clamps?? Is there a specific kind of battery terminal I should look at buying? Can I just replace the terminals or do I have to replace the cable too???:confused013::doh:

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
What do you mean by a safety switch?
The switch on the tranny that only lets you crank it in P or N.
Make sure the truck is in P, key on then crawl under and short the small terminal to the big cable on the starter. If it doesn't crank over then the starter is the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats what I was hoping. I am taking my batteries in today to be tested. I tried jumping the truck and all I get is a single click sound?:confused013:

Just got back from getting the batteries tested and they are fine. The next step is to replace the battery terminals and if that doesn't help then time to get the starter tested. Does anyone have a "how-to" on how to replace the battery terminals?? Is it just as simple as cutting the old terminals off and adding new ones?? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Chris-

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey man! I'm having the exact same problem! mine starts, but i gotta turn the key a few times. This last weekend, it took 20 minutes to start :whip:, and its not my batteries. I had them tested and they are fine. just for laughs, a buddy and I tried to jump it, and still the same problem. I haven't tried a new starter solenoid yet. If it helps, my battery cables are corroded beyond belief, and the battery terminals arent the greatest either. So im thinkin its a bad connection...

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Like I said the single click might be the shutdown solenoid snapping up.
Have someone listen under the hood when you turn the key.
And like I said try hot wiring the starter from underneath before you go any further.
If it cranks it will indicate which direction you need to look for the problem.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just got back from getting the batteries tested and they are fine. The next step is to replace the battery terminals and if that doesn't help then time to get the starter tested. Does anyone have a "how-to" on how to replace the battery terminals?? Is it just as simple as cutting the old terminals off and adding new ones?? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Chris-
its best just to get new cables. I know they are spendy but corrosion works into the copper and will just keep coming back. if you do decide on ends tho just cut off the old ones strip back the insulation and bolt on the new ones. Pretty much promise ya you will be cleaning them up once a month to keep em working tho. Bolt on battery cable ends never have worked well for me even using a protectant and heat shrink on old cables.
to see if your starter does work as Illfem said just cross the big wire on the bottom of your starter to the smaller wire. ( leave both wires hooked up right where they are, the big wire is always hot and the small wire actuates the starter) if the starter does not work then, and, you are sure of the battery connections you need a starter. If it does work you have a problem on the switch side. be it a saftey switch, ignition switch, bad connection or a broken wire.
seeing as how you hear a click when ya first hit the key I'm inclined to say your ignition switch is ok.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you have a meter? Sounds like you need to do some testing. Get a DVOM and start doing voltage drop testing. Save yourself some $$ and headaches.
Or, take it to someone that knows what to look for. You'll spend less money in the long run, unless you like tearing things apart that are working fine.
First thing to do is test the cables with the meter, then see if it's getting the signal to fire the starter and work your way back to the switch. Easy if you take your time and don't shortcut.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Okay... anyone know why it starts well some of the time, and others it dosent? I would think that if it was a bad connection or a bad wire it would do it all of the time. when I put my hand on the solenoid and have a friend turn the key, you can feel the switch flip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you to everyone who posted and helped trouble shoot the starting issue with my truck. It ended up being a bad starter. $179.00 and a new starter solved the problem. Thanks again everyone.:yourock:

-Chris-

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you have a voltage tester if so see if there is power at the battery then see if you get power at the clamps it could be the clamp/ post connection is not good if so it can be fixed with a srt of post shims $2 each.:banghead:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts