Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
No problem. I know all about custom afro-engineering. :thumbsup:
I would try to get the relay working. I'm not sure exactly how much juice the solenoid actually draws, but the relay is 70 or 80A so it must be a little bit. What size relays did you try swapping in before?

LarryB should have everything you would need to get going. Geno's should too, but their site is kind of a pain to find what you want.
I'm guessing you're not using the harness for the relay and just have it the hot from the starter wired directly to the solenoid? I would look over the relay harness good and make sure it's up to snuff. LarryB has the whole harness, it's 60 bucks but comes with the relay and fusible link. You can get just the relay socket for 14.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where was that fuse located? My buddy is having the same issue.

Well, I kind of feel like an idiot and kind of not. I found the problem: 30 amp starter solenoid fuse in the engine fuse block. I must have overlooked it the other night. Anyway, I think the solenoid on the starter may have been bad and caused it to blow the fuse. I completely forgot that I had almost this exact same issue back in January. I bought a new starter, put it on, then hunted wires for 2 days before realizing that fuse was blown.
So if your truck won't click and crank, don't forget about that little 30 amp fuse when you start your problem hunt.
Thanks for helping me out, guys! I love all of the help this forum has to offer!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I didn't read all of the posts, so if this is covered, sorry.

Screw those cheap starters from the Chinese auto parts stores. If you don't have your original, go get one from a junkyard and for less than $100 go get it rebuilt at a local DC repair facility. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever trade your factory alternator or starter for a cheap Chinese knock-off at an auto parts store. Have it rebuilt. Thank me later.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts