Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck wouldnt start for a week and I was bumming. I followed BlueChip diesel's webpage for VP44 Diagnostics. I also called him and he planely stated that the enigine will fire without the ECM and no Electronics. All I need is power and ground at the pump and it will fire. WRONG .I got so stumped I decided to call him again and he told me if i had power and ground, no air in the fuel lines, and a good VP, than it should fire; If it dont i have a major mechanical issue like my timing gears are way off, bent pushrods or no compression.

I gave up on BlueChip and decided to call Jim Jessup, he told me he couldnt really help over the phone, but if all is good, than try a little ether. the truck fired up with a tiny little blast. Threw a P0336(CKP SENSOR). I replaced the sensor and it fired up.

I am just hear to say that BlueChip was wrong and the engine needs to know the TIMING in order to fire.

I hope this helps everyone.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
The type of failure of sensor probablly had a effect. A sensor failure going open should still allow but a 5v supply short might be a different matter.

·
Registered
926 Posts
What's a CKP sensor? Assuming this is a crank position sensor?

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you assume right

1 - 4 of 4 Posts