Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes dirt will damage the fuel system :doh:. Did you really just say that :banghead:
Do you understand the difference between 1% and 99%. Without numbers its an empty statement.

Also it was clever of you to completely ignore the word "significant"

·
Registered
17,333 Posts
I said it was your decision to eliminate the pre-filter. I don't know or care what the micron rating of the in tank screen is, I just know it doesn't filter as well as the prefilter. It certainly allows sand to pass through it. If you don't think sand will harm your lift pump you live in a fantasy world. Your theory that it is just as good is false and your theory that the screen is to keep gelled fuel from being heated makes no sense. Do what you want to do, just don't try to sucker someone who is unknowing into following your path. In all my miles I have never had to remove the canister to clean the filter. I have had to clean my pre-filter quite a few times. That should be evidence enough.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just replaced my fuel filter 2 weeks ago and decided to clean the pre filter while I was at it. All kinds of sand and debris in there. It's on there for a reason.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I said it was your decision to eliminate the pre-filter. I don't know or care what the micron rating of the in tank screen is, I just know it doesn't filter as well as the prefilter. It certainly allows sand to pass through it. If you don't think sand will harm your lift pump you live in a fantasy world. Your theory that it is just as good is false and your theory that the screen is to keep gelled fuel from being heated makes no sense. Do what you want to do, just don't try to sucker someone who is unknowing into following your path. In all my miles I have never had to remove the canister to clean the filter. I have had to clean my pre-filter quite a few times. That should be evidence enough.
I may be overestimating the ability of the canister screen. It appears similar to the pre-filter in density but that's just an assumption. It's also possible that you are right about the fuel bypassing the canister screen which would explain the sand particles better.

·
Registered
17,333 Posts
That isn't exactly accurate. The screen is a basket that holds fuel so that if the tank is low the line won''t suck air while driving up and down hills.
I misspoke here. Obviously the screen isn't a basket because it won't hold fuel and if it did there wouldn't be enough in it to drive 10 feet. I put together this thread, and perhaps D89 will see fit to add it to the tech section.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/2385994-about-stock-fuel-tank-canister.html

·
Registered
441 Posts
That isn't exactly accurate. The screen is a basket that holds fuel so that if the tank is low the line won''t suck air while driving up and down hills. Fuel (and dirt) can and will bypass it in the canister. If it was redundant we wouldn't have all the threads where cleaning the pre-filter solved a fuel pressure problem.
I never even considered this when I bypassed the heater setup. Should I go ahead and put a pre-filter on the frame rail down where I started the rubber lines? If so, any recommendations? I have a new Fram inline fuel filter in my garage, what about using that?

·
Registered
17,333 Posts
I never even considered this when I bypassed the heater setup. Should I go ahead and put a pre-filter on the frame rail down where I started the rubber lines? If so, any recommendations? I have a new Fram inline fuel filter in my garage, what about using that?
I wish I could help you with good technical advice, but I can't. There are a few threads about installing a filter prior to the lift pump. When I deleted the heater that is all I did. Unscrewed the pre-filter screen holder, unscrewed the heater element, then installed the pre-filter holder into the vacant hole. 10 minute job, just a small diesel bath.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts