Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was bored today so I thought I would try doing the cruise control mod that captinmatthew did, only problem my speedometer doesn't work.

First thing I did was to see if I had power at the fuse and I did. Next thing was to unplug the wire harness at the cruise control unit and see the black wire went to ground and it did.

Next thing I did was turn the key to on and push the cruise on button on the steering wheel on and I had power at the blue/red wire at the plug.

Next thing I did was to cut the green/red and tan/red wires away from the plug far enough to splice wires on to go to the dash.

Then I took a wire with gator clips on both ends and put the green/red wire to ground. The tan/red wire I went to ground using my remote starter. I started my truck pushed the on button on the steering column and then bumped my remote starter and it speeded the engine up each time I bumped it.

Next while it was running above idle I pushed my brake pedal and it canceled the cruse back to idle. So it works for fast idle and cruse control other than it won't speed up or decelerate on it's own.

So I then ran the green/red to a on/off 275-1565 (radio shack no.) switch at my dash. Run the tan/red to a momentary switch 275=1556 (radio shack no.). I then restarted the truck and pushed the momentary switch and it idled up pushed the brake pedal it canceled, also will cancel with the steering wheel switch and the on/off switch that I added for the green/red.

If you don't get power at the blue/red wire at the plug you can run a key on hot wire to that wire with a on/off switch which would replace the one on the steering wheel. Then wire the other wires up as I did. You shouldn't use it as a cruise control unless you run the hot wire in your brake switch where the cruise wires are now, then it will cancel it out as if it was factory.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried out my cruise control today it works better than no cruise. Like I said it doesn't accelerate or decelerate but when you go up a hill you can give it a little pedal and when at the top of the hill let the cruise have it again.

One thing it's real touchy to set the cruise at the speed you want so i'm going to try replacing the on/off switch with a momentary button to see if it will decelerate with it. I can shut the cruise off by tapping on the brake or the shut off button on the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was playing around with this some more and found out if I put a normally closed momentary push button switch where the off/on switch (275-1565) is I can decelerate the cruise like the other momentary switch accelerates.

According to Radio Shacks web site they have a 275-1548 which should work to do that, so next time I go to town I'll get one.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed out the on/off switch on the green/red wire and put a 275-1548 momentary switch on it and now I can decelerate without shutting the cruise control off.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After using the mod for my cruise control the buttons are real touchy so you need to just tap them quick and lightly for it to accelerate or decelerate slow. Also using the 275-1548 momentary switch on the green/red wire helps decelerate when you bump it to high. If you use the on/off switch it cancels it out and you have to start over trying to set your cruise.

It takes a little practice in doing it slow to get it close, like I said it's better than no cruise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts