Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jumped in the pickup tonight....fired it up and away I went. Then realized that I had headlights, but no front ambers or rear tails. I have brake lights, signals front and rear and hi/lo beams. But no running/marker lights or dash lights.. What is even stranger is that the dash lights and markers flash when I unlock the truck via keyless alarm. My guages in the a-pillar don't light up either.

The ddimmer switch is all the way up on brightness (not to interior or bed light) and moving it makes no difference.

Any help would be much appreciated? Dead switch maybe?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Possible loose or bad fuse from the lightswitch back, check out your relays HOPEFULLY that is your problem. Could have a short somewhere maybe something isnt grounded after it got rattled loose?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought it was maybe a fuse, checked the int lights one, marker lights, head lights and tail lights.....and a couple others, everything looks good to me?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
02 last of the old bodystyle......I am starting to think its switch related as well.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
yea they changed all the wiren when they went to the new body style so its prolly the switch

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yep I betcha its the switch, after the 3rd switch went bad in my duallie, I took the circuit that powers the running lights off the headlight switch and gave them its own dedicated switch, problem solved.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It's either your switch or a short out back at the trailer plug in connection. If you have anything extra that is attached with butt connectors or any of those quick connectors I would cut it out and sodder,and shrink wrap it. I had this problem with my 99. I bought it used so it had all kinds of fancy wiring.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok...thanks guys.....any way to test the switch? or just get a new one and try it out? I have been out of town for a few days and I am headed back out again tomorrow, so time is a little short. I would imagine the local dealer would have one in stock if need be?

thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
210 Posts
some local parts stores should have one, you could do like one guy and i did on my 1/2 ton and put them on their own dedicated circuit.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interesting thought.....how does one go about doing something like that then? I just completely re-wired my old chevy...but not sure I can figure out these new systems?

·
Registered
210 Posts
if you have a serivce manual u can look up the wire to do it or can take a test light and go throught and find it.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 94 1500. I will not have running lights or dash lights everthing thing else is fine. I check the fuse and it is blown I put a new in and I will last for a little while and then blow again. I calls for a 15amp fuse and thats what I put in it. The funny thing is that even with a blown fuses when I turn my lights on and look at the dash I will sometimes flicker, beats me havnt figured it out yet.

I put a tri pilar guage set in the truck Do you guys think that could be it
Could it be a bad dimer switch. Thanku.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok I had this exact problem ... replaced the switch like 3 times ... turned out to be the fuse. It wasnt burnt out, it just wasnt making contact. I went and got an inline fuse kit ($3 walmart) and put some spade ends on it. Stuck it in the hole for the original fuse and everything works great again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts