Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing my new LP and VP44. Truck runs good(took a LONG time to bleed but finally got it.) My problem now is that I used to could feel my edge "kick in" pretty good and not back down, had plenty of power. Now after replacing these things It acts like there is no chip at all on it, no power whatsoever for a long time then finally it will kick in and run on but jumps in an out of the power band as I like to refer to it as, speratically. I've yet to find a fuel pressure gauge so I havent tested that yet although I dont think thats the problem. Every parts store I go to says we dont have them but might could order one or try somewhere else. What might be the cause of this?? Im thinking the chip has had it but I dont wanna spend $800 on a new one and not fix the problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm not so savvy on all the different types of chips, but does your use the wire tap at the VP44? If so I would check that, and definitely check you fuel pressure! Really need a fuel pressure gauge and it will keep you aware of what the pressure is doing and prolong the life of your pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My edge taps into the thick wire that runs from the pos. post on the battery to the Computer?? on the side of the block and then plugs in to I think the map sensor on the back of the engine near the #6 piston. Thats all. Its the older style ez edge. The date on it says 2002 so It must have been on there since new.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
maybe you have a bad connection, re-check. you could try unhooking the EZ altogether, and see if the truck runs consistantly, meaning you dont have fluxuations in power, if the power is constant, send the ez back to edge, I believe they will check it for free or small fee, call them they are really helpful. an EZ is NOT 800$ but a better one will be closer to 600-700$

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked everything I could think of and here is what I come up with.
When im going down the road and the chip is not "engaged" if I just flip my smoke switch on then right back off she will haul . She'll run fine a couple of miles but when my rpm's drop down again I have to do it again??????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked my fuel pressure today. At idle im getting 14psi, cruising around at about 55-60mph which is 90% of my driving im getting between 10-11psi and WOT I get about 8psi on my stock IP and LP. So I can rule that out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Still sounds like a chip problem to me. Rather it be internal fault, connections or what ever, but when you hit your smoke switch it runs good for a little bit makes me think a chip issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts