Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 turbo cummins diesal. Recently removed the engine to have a head gasket and other work done. Everything is back in and it turns over fine but will not start. Seems to be no p
Wheel Finger Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door

ower to the fuel pump. I have 1 wire not plugged in. May be the problem. Anybody recognize this plug and can you tell me where it's located on the engine ? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
24,312 Posts
Whatever the wire goes to won't keep the engine from running. Did you bleed all the air out of the injector lines at the injectors? Is the FSS pulling all the way up?

The fuel pump ( lift pump ) is mechanical so it needs no wires.

·
Super Moderator
24,312 Posts
I did not bleed the lines. What is the FSS ? Sorry, total diesal rookie here.

FSS is the fuel shutoff solenoid that's mounted on the back side of the injection pump, has 3 wires coming out the end of it.

You need to crack open all the injector nuts, tie up the FSS arm and then crank the engine over watching for each injector to fuel. Then as each starts to fuel tighten the injector nut.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
i still do not recognize that pig tail

so ill guess

Crank sensor , Somewhere down by the tappet cover ( might cause a no start ? on a 96 )

Lil gizmo that slides on or hooks to the ABS / Proportion Valve Master cyld area . ( nothing to do with a no start )

No start usually FSS related ,, bad relay , open fusable link on battery , binding linkage ect ect

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
If the FSS pulls up , then yes you need to pump the fuel primer bulb ,, bleed lines ect ect .

·
Registered
711 Posts
Crank sensor , Somewhere down by the tappet cover ( might cause a no start ? on a 96 )
ESS (engine speed sensor) - or lack of - will not cause a no-start condition on a 2nd-gen 12-valve with a P-pump. It can be linked to several other issues, but it does not affect power to the FSS.

OP: If you are starting with an empty fuel filter, it may take a bit of cranking before you fill the filter and get fuel to the injection pump - and then a bit longer to get it through the lines to the injectors. When I replace the fuel filter, it typically takes 200+ pumps on the primer button on the lift pump (LP) to make the overflow valve squeal (indicating fuel has made its way through the filter and to the injection pump) - at least one other member has reported similar numbers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unless you have a aftermarket electronic lift pump, The lift pump on these 12 valve engines are mechanically driven by the camshaft with no electronics involved. You will probably want to get familiar with the fuel system on a 12 valve Cummins before you try to bleed out the system yourself.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Do note that the entire purpose of the FSS's existence is so the engine stops when you turn the key off. No electricity is otherwise required for the 12V to keep running until the tank is dry. As such the FSS is far and away the most common cause for crank-but-no-start issues or "it just died on me!". The FSS can be bypassed trivially by holding the fuel lever up with a zip tie -- A handful of 5-cent zip ties in the glove box (and the knowledge of where to place it) could have saved an awful lot of tow-truck dollars on here. It's useful too as a diagnostic tool to eliminate or confirm the FSS as the culprit in issues like these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all of you. I have a starting point. Don't stop posting if you have an idea. All thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
‘98 2500 Quad cab 12 valve 4x4 with 5 speed
677 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
Do note that the entire purpose of the FSS's existence is so the engine stops when you turn the key off. No electricity is otherwise required for the 12V to keep running until the tank is dry. As such the FSS is far and away the most common cause for crank-but-no-start issues or "it just died on me!". The FSS can be bypassed trivially by holding the fuel lever up with a zip tie -- A handful of 5-cent zip ties in the glove box (and the knowledge of where to place it) could have saved an awful lot of tow-truck dollars on here. It's useful too as a diagnostic tool to eliminate or confirm the FSS as the culprit in issues like these.
A solid, heavy duty bungie cord works best. Right to the lift eyelet on the cylinder head

1 - 13 of 13 Posts