Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 98.5 2500, got a trans rebuild about 6 months ago (47re). i was towing a uhaul trailer with 5 motorcycles in it , and my whole family in the truck. the truck drives fine in straight roads and in minor up hills , but when driving with up steep hills like grapevine here in I-5 in SoCal (6%) it slows down significantly, to about 43mph with my foot at 100% throttle, it doesnt downshift till like 40 mph but then up shifts into overdrive again when it hits 45 or so. my overdrive off button works sometimes when i keep pressing it , but im not sure if my problem is that the engine just doesnt have the power to haul that at that grade of hill , or if its my tranny’s fault that it doesnt want to downshift

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Looks like you found the limits of your Dodge Ram. Watch your coolant temperatures.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When you are pulling a grade with a load and every seat full you should not be in overdrive the engine can't hold the RPM it needs to pull the grade you really need to figure out the overdrive button or you will be heating up the transmission and rebuilding it again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Read somewhere that the button for OD on/off is easy to remove from the gear handle, I just don't remember how it comes apart. The switch can be cleaned to restore operation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you found the limits of your Dodge Ram. Watch your coolant temperatures.
engine temps were fine , even a couple months ago when i was towing a canam sxs , it stayed at 190, but ithink i should be worried about trans temp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you are pulling a grade with a load and every seat full you should not be in overdrive the engine can't hold the RPM it needs to pull the grade you really need to figure out the overdrive button or you will be heating up the transmission and rebuilding it again.
does the gear selector have to be replaced with the button ? or can the button itsself be replaced

·
Registered
178 Posts
Read somewhere that the button for OD on/off is easy to remove from the gear handle, I just don't remember how it comes apart. The switch can be cleaned to restore operation.
Here it is

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
That is normal power That is why you run in third with OD off for lockup at 50-55mph It should run that way fine. The OD off button should always turn off OD when pushed and that gives you lockup in third. Your truck has normal power. 3rd lockup is made for that situation. Itwill not lockup in tnhird with out turning off OD. If thw button does not work ther are only 20 dollars at the parts store and take five mnutes to replace by just popping off the cap. Some kind of plug and play chip will help. See what BD, Edge or others may have. Can be less than $4-500. What is your tire size? Used chips are available on Ebay most of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts