Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

No Power At First!

1436 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  cumminscoaltrain25
Hi. I have an 02 Dodge Diesel. When I start it it's fine but when I start to go I can only go about 20mph until it's warmed up a bit......maybe a mile or so then it's fine.

I've tried shifting gears and sometimes that works to throw it into low and work my way up. (it's an automatic).

Any suggestions if it's a sensor, tranny, etc would be deeply appreciated.....thanks!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
did you check to see if it's throwing any codes?:confused013:

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Try cleaning your IAT sensor, here is how:
IAT Sensor

· Registered
963 Posts
Fill out your sig.. tell us if the truck has a chip or programmer, some if not all have ''cold protection'' no power til a determined temperature.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply and the directions. I will try that tomorrow.....Not showing any codes. I was hoping it was some sort of sensor.......by the way, my truck is stock, stock, stock...........:shock:

· Registered
963 Posts
Ok stock, cleaning the intake air temp sensor wont hurt . But i think you might be experiencing the DEAD PEDAL.Which is the APPS sensor.Theres a lot of threads on this problem.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have an 02 2500 4x4 quadcab automatic that is bonestock (as far as I know) and it does the same thing lindak is experiencing. I bought the truck as my first diesel back in September and had no problems until late October when the temperature started dipping below 50*F. I have no idea what causes it but my truck will run like the turbo is gone until the factory temperature gauge starts moving and on cold mornings it seems to snap in and out of this behavior until it is all the way up to normal operating temperature. Once the factory temp gauge hits about 190 it runs like a champ. Sometimes the truck will run like a champ no matter what the outside temp, it seems to be a bit finnicky. Can anybody help me out with this.

· Registered
877 Posts
i had a 99 powerstroke that the waste gate kicked out until it was warm but i never heard of that problem with a dodge i would check to see if you are getting any boost

· Registered
66 Posts
its happpening to me to!!! just changed the filters on the air dog!! 216 code.. have fuel gauge on the way... help help help.. maybe transmission issue?

· Registered
167 Posts
More than likely it is the injection pump for all with this problem or so I am told. I have had this for almost 2 years waiting for mine to actually quit. Drewdown po216 is suppose to be a death code for the VP, internal timing issue. Lindak did you check codes or is the check engine light just not on, mine has never thrown the cel in 2 years.

· Registered
33 Posts
its most likely the vp44 my truck use to do the same thing it got to the point were in the mornings when i first started it i would try and rev it up, it would go to 1900rpms and sputtered and white smoke but that was after driving it like that for about 8months when that started to happen i finally replaced it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.