Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I took my 2006 5.9L megacab in to get the oil changed. I had my suspicions about it burning oil. Well there wasn't any on the dip stick. No visual leaks or anything. The dealership asked if i had a chip because it is smoking like I have one. I assuming that's where the oil is going. Does anyone have any idea what it could be. I am also in Midland Texas anyone have a good diesel mechanic out here I hate dealerships. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
How many miles? Is it modded? How bad abused? Have you every heard that dipstick is for measuring oil level in service. Every fillup should include check oil shortly.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
How many miles? Is it modded? How bad abused? Have you every heard that dipstick is for measuring oil level in service. Every fillup should include check oil shortly.
But really, how many people pop the hood every day....10% maybe :hehe:

·
Registered
135 Posts
It should have blowby if its blowing smoke and losing oil like that. Pull the oil fill with it running and see if air is escaping. Would also be blowing smoke from the crankcase overflow as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Does it miss at all?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. Doesn't miss a beat. Even the dealership said its been awhile since they seen a truck engine as clean as mine being how old it is. They said it ran great. One mechanic said something about The rings. To track my mileage and to see how much it actually is burning. But 4k miles between oil changes it should drop so much that I can't see it on the dip stick.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Normally this is a good idea and highly recommended for every vehicle; however this does not work too well on our cummins. It will let you know that there is still oil in the engine when you check it while filling up but not much more and it will always show low. To get an accurate reading the truck needs to be turned off and set at least 20min, preferably overnight to get an accurate reading. Are you checking the oil after you just shut it off or first thing in the morning? You should also have an excessive amount of blowby if your burning that much oil.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If it has alot of blow by bring it for a compression test. Probably looking at bad rings.

I'm in the same boat as you. Burning alot of oil but not alot of blowby. If would stop breaking on it I'd take it in for a compression test, but just put several thousand dollars into the transmission. Again.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man that's the last thing I want to deal with... When I bought it with in 3k I have had transfer case rebuild transmission rebuild new driveshaft cause it wasn't the original and a new carrier bearing dealership paid for all of it. Seams like its been driven hard. I hope I don't to rebuild the engine.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Man that's the last thing I want to deal with... When I bought it with in 3k I have had transfer case rebuild transmission rebuild new driveshaft cause it wasn't the original and a new carrier bearing dealership paid for all of it. Seams like its been driven hard. I hope I don't to rebuild the engine.

Low mileage truck too :doh: Just goes to show that mileage doesn't mean jack when buying used.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Ever had the The crank case filter changed? If the filter is plugged/dirty It can create blow by pretty bad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.