Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck hiccuped and then took a big dump. Suddenly it is a beast. A little loud, but I'll get used to that. :wink2:

· Registered
373 Posts
What you end up going with for tuning and such?
Planning on having parts fall of my 18 here shortly since I already have 4K miles on it hahah

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you end up going with for tuning and such?
Planning on having parts fall of my 18 here shortly since I already have 4K miles on it hahah
Just updated my sig line. It's there.

· Registered
579 Posts
Nice!

I see you’re in Tennessee, did you go with Anarchy Diesel? I have nothing but good things to say about them, amazing customer service.

· Registered
370 Posts
Ahh i can't wait to delete mine.. My 2010 cummins was a beast deleted, took me awhile to get use to the stock life again on my 18..

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My local shop that does this sort of work is hooked up with Extreme Diesel, so I used a PPEI tune by Kory Willis. It is set up as Stock (+30HP), Tow (+60HP), Street (+90HP), ~can't remember the name~ (+120HP), and Max (+150HP). The tech said for best economy to run it on Max. Even with the trans tune, I am scared of what running Max would do to the stock 68RFE. I have it in Street and plan on keeping it there. Even at this mid range setting there is a phenomenal difference in the truck. It is an absolute beast now! There is zero lag; you step on the skinny pedal and it goes. All I had to do to maintain 55mph on a twisty, rolling 2 lane highway was ever so gently apply light pressure to the throttle. The 5" turbo back straight pipe is obnoxiously loud with the windows down, but not bad at all with them up. If you live in an area where being loud is a bad thing, I suggest going with a muffler, a 4" straight pipe, or even a 4" pipe with a muffler. The 5" straight pipe turns heads. As far as smoking, all I noticed at +90HP was a puff at startup. I only got on it really hard one time and that was leaving the shop. The smoke was from the rear tire, not the exhaust. It's never spun the tires on dry pavement before. What? I HAD to see what the beast would do. I did this at roughly 13,970 miles. The EGR ports were dirty, but not nearly as bad as we expected. I will try to post some pics here after while. The truck is a mess, inside and out, after this. The mechanics are used to working on older work trucks, not new, daily driver Laramies. They don't exactly take precautions to keep from making a mess. I'm cool with that.

· Registered
5,516 Posts
... The truck is a mess, inside and out, after this. The mechanics are used to working on older work trucks, not new, daily driver Laramies. They don't exactly take precautions to keep from making a mess. I'm cool with that...
Why would you be "cool with that?" I'm not cool with that. AT ALL. I don't care if it's my 20+ year old truck or a brand new one, that's an unacceptable level of service. Part of being a good tech is respect for the person's vehicle, and that means not getting it dirty on the inside, and if you do, you clean it up so that there is no sign that you did it in the first place. Only total hacks leave a truck a filthy mess.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why would you be "cool with that?" I'm not cool with that. AT ALL. I don't care if it's my 20+ year old truck or a brand new one, that's an unacceptable level of service. Part of being a good tech is respect for the person's vehicle, and that means not getting it dirty on the inside, and if you do, you clean it up so that there is no sign that you did it in the first place. Only total hacks leave a truck a filthy mess.
I grew up around old school big trucks and diesel shops. The mechanics were covered from head to toe in grease and oil. They were messy, but they knew what they were doing and were very good at it. That's the kind of shop that did all of the work. I prefer this to young, yuppie types working on my stuff.

· Registered
5,516 Posts
I grew up around old school big trucks and diesel shops. The mechanics were covered from head to toe in grease and oil. They were messy, but they knew what they were doing and were very good at it. That's the kind of shop that did all of the work. I prefer this to young, yuppie types working on my stuff.
You need to get out more. The best mechanics and techs I've ever known are tidy, both old and young. In fact, the filthiest ones are usually the worst.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You need to get out more. The best mechanics and techs I've ever known are tidy, both old and young. In fact, the filthiest ones are usually the worst.
Are you kidding? There are people out there. I have no desire to interact with other humans. I'm fine interacting with my dogs.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't make me play you the song of my people!

Reactions: nick00less

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, here's a report on the first week. I had to take a trip from Bristol, TN to Yadkinville, NC to pick up 3 dozen dog cots for the wife's animal shelter. It was only about a 350 mile round trip but the 3000' Fancy Gap Mountain is between us. I hand calculated 20.8 MPG for the trip. The only other long distance trip I made was to Savannah, GA the day after I bought the truck. On flat ground at nearly sea level and stock the best I was able to manage was 17.0 MPG hand calculated. I always fill the truck up at the same station every Friday, so I won't have any hand calculated data until next Friday for in town driving, but the Lie-O-Meter has settled in at 17.6 MPG. It was pretty accurate compared to my hand calculated 13.5 MPG average for the last 14 months. So it appears I made a minor gain in fuel economy on the +90 HP tune. Since I deleted and tuned for longevity of the engine, any gain in fuel economy is just a added bonus. Even at the mid-range tune, the truck has become a rocket. The increase in responsiveness and power is phenomenal. The sound is awesome with the 5" straight pipe. It is obnoxiously loud with the windows down, and I like it! With the windows up it is more noticeable than before around town, but not bad at all. On the highway there is a slight drone, but it disappears with the radio volume set to 10-12. The transmission tune for the 68RFE is pretty awesome, too. The shift points and torque converter lockups make a lot more sense now than stock. The only thing that is odd to me is while driving in town, the truck gets to 4th gear and then stays there in the 35-50 MPH range. The converter locks/unlocks with grades and traffic, but it almost always stays in 4th gear and in the 1650-1800 RPM range. I have sent a message to PPEI to ask why they have it set this way, but I am guessing that is where the engine makes power best and is the most economical. The drawback to this is the exhaust brake will nearly throw you through the windshield now. I have pretty much stopped using it unless I have to get on the highway for some reason. Anyway, that's what I've observed so far. I will post PPEI's response when it comes in and the hand calculated, in town fuel economy after the next regular fill up.

· Registered
510 Posts
Good to hear you are liking the tune you are running. I will say, that when I first deleted with Hardway, I saw only a miniscule change in fuel economy, but didn't expect to see any at all really. I ran those tunes for a year, and recently switched to Anarchy tunes, as Hardway has gone mostly racing and don't update their tunes as often. When I bought Anarchy's tunes, they were mostly doing SOTF tune files for the EZ LYNK platform, which Hardway didn't even offer SOTF options for that platform. Anarchy had a few single tune files in their inventory, but they were honest and said they hadn't updated the trans tuning on those files in months. Well, being that I didn't even have a SOTF switch yet, I ordered one from them, but loaded their 50 hp single file tune. I will say that I was definitely impressed with their trans tuning.. even though they told me it was "old" tuning on the non SOTF files. I noticed a slight drop in MPG going from Hardways stock delete tune file, to their +50 hp tune, but the shifting strategy was so much better it didn't bother me. This weekend I installed my SOTF switch, and their recent v2.2 update and now I'm REALLY impressed. The shift strategy works beautifully for my application, and although im only looking at the EVIC thus far, it shows nearly a 1.5mpg increase over their single tune file without the updated trans tuning. The truck is a pleasure to drive, and although I only have 200 miles running this tune, its night and day over what I ran from Hardway or even Anarchys own single tune files. There really is a difference between tunes and tuners. Im sure they all have their good and bad, but from customer service, to drivability, im sure glad I tried another tuner, rather than just accept that what I had was as good as it got. Good luck and enjoy your truck!

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PPEI's response:

On this truck the RPMs being higher at that MPH are normal. The power levels on this truck are 30hp- 65hp- 100hp- 130hp- 180hp. Fuel economy will vary on each truck... I suggest checking it on each tune and running which one does best.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another update: filled up on the 21st and 28th. The hand calculated mileage was 15.5 and 15.41 respectively. That's a solid increase of 2.5 MPG over stock in an average week. I flipped it up to the 130 HP setting as soon as I filled up on the 28th to see if there is any difference. Again, I didn't do this for fuel economy purposes. It's just an added bonus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.