Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Diesel-less
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the Dodge site customizing a truck since I think my dad will like the $2.99 gas deal from Chrysler and the only options for an '08 Ram 2500 is 5.7L HEMI or 6.7L CTD. Is the 6.7L better than the 5.9? Which aspects are better?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I don't like the 6.7's personally, but I'm a pretty die hard 5.9L guy, and no you Dodge isn't selling trucks with the 5.9's in them anymore

·
Registered
248 Posts
The 5.9 died when they came out with all the emissions crap for late '07's and '08's.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Even though dodge an't selling no more 5.9's I am still a die 5.9 fan too. But if you want the gas deal looks like you'll have to go with the 6.7

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
and just for reference the 5.9 WILL NEVER DIE

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If you don't want to void the warranty by deleting all of the emissions crap (dpf, egr) then the $2.99 fuel card doesn't really matter. The fuel mileage will not be as good as a 5.9. If I were you I'd find a used 5.9. I found mine on Autotrader. 07 5.9 with 12k miles on it. I got a great deal too. Only 30k from a private seller. I'd go that route unless you're willing to void the warranty, which I would have done if I didn't get such a great deal.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I'm on the Dodge site customizing a truck since I think my dad will like the $2.99 gas deal from Chrysler and the only options for an '08 Ram 2500 is 5.7L HEMI or 6.7L CTD. Is the 6.7L better than the 5.9? Which aspects are better?
6.7 Cummins is the replacement for the 5.9. While some complain about its fuel economy I heard the VVT or variable geometry I forget which one, either way I hear the new turbo does a great job at boost down low.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hear the 6.7's are hard to throw mods on. I'm personally against buying a motor the first year it comes out. Which is why I got an 07 5.9L.

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
ima 5.9 guy luv them to death but love the 6.7 to wont ever own one for a while but dont mind sitting passenger

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
ima 5.9 guy luv them to death but love the 6.7 to wont ever own one for a while but dont mind sitting passenger
Hell I'd sit passenger in a Yugo if meant I wasn't burnin' my own fuel :rof:rof:rof

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Sorry guy's I love my 6.7 its 2 sec quicker then a 5.9 stock to stock and I will tell you this I live in the high desert of Calif and we have Cajon pass near us with close to and this was a est on weight 9500 lbs I came up cajon pass doing no less then 75 running at 2200 rpm's or less the whole way It is just amazing what the new motor will do I am still looking for a hill that would slow it down yeah fuel mpg stink's but man the power is there right at your finger tips

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
the 6.7 feels more refined with its 6 speed (auto) but i personally like the unrefined grunt of the 5.9. adding extra ponies is cheap and they came from the factory breathing clean cool air.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You can still get a new 5.9 in trucks except for in Canada and U.S., so if you really want one head south of the border

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't get it, the fuel has been going higher for several years now, why in the heck would they put out an engine that gets 30- 50% less fuel mileage? Are they so stupid to get stuck in a horsepower race? What the heck is wrong with the power of a 5.9.
Chrysler you people are morons, if you can't adjust to our needs, who are you trying to sell to, it is time to pull your head out of your butt,,, Chrysler!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Having a 12 Valve, its obvious I'm a 5.9 guy, but my Dad's new 6.7 has me sold so far. I'm seriously considering a 6.7 for myself when I get out of school. Thats a few years from now though :SMART:

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Does anyone know for sure if the gas deal applies to diesel trucks? I didn't see where it said anything one way or the other. I've been thinking of a new truck and was wondering the same thing- does the $2.99 gas card apply to diesels?

·
Banned
53 Posts
Yeah it applies to diesels i was at the dodge dealer this mornin. I like the south of the border idea for a new 5.9

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I hear the 6.7's are hard to throw mods on. I'm personally against buying a motor the first year it comes out. Which is why I got an 07 5.9L.
I agree let them get all the bugs worked out.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
thats why i got the last 2007 5.9 on the lot, i love it, its my third 5.9 and i wouldnt have it any other way!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts