Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, pre 2013 this method would have worked though. Make a hell of a mess on 13+ though.
I could see it making a hell of a mess on a 2018 RAM 4500 that I own......that has a completely different frame than the 2013 & up 3500’s and 2014 & up 2500’s.

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts
No way that oil is going to 100% drain through that hole.

On the c&c can you pull the filter straight down though?
Sure can.....on the 4500 and 5500 Cab & Chassis trucks. The 3500 Chassis is the same as the pickups....on the front half of the frame.

Reactions: dawizman

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok fellas..i placed a few rags on the oil tray, then I used a large zip lock bag after I got the filter loose and wraped it around the filter and lowered it down in the bag. I then put the cap on the filter sealed the bag and pulled it out.. No issues and no mess.. lowering the filter down with out the bag always made a little mess. Using the bag the only oil came from it driping from the filter housing and the rags caught it..

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,547 Posts
Sure can.....on the 4500 and 5500 Cab & Chassis trucks. The 3500 Chassis is the same as the pickups....on the front half of the frame.
About the only thing I’ve never whined about on my 16 3500 is the oil filter change. 🤔
Thats probably because compared to changing the rear fuel filter, the oil filter is like a day off with pay. 🤣

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,547 Posts
Better yet, with a C&C.
Yes, but With a ‘shortbed’ pickup the rear fuel filter removal choices are as follows…
  • Remove the rear driveshaft to get access.
  • Remove the entire truckbed to get access.
  • Remove nothing, spin off the filter, and get a bath in diesel fuel. Then throw the clothes you were wearing in trash.
Yes Sir, In my altered reality the choices are that simple.:)

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
Yes, but With a ‘shortbed’ pickup the rear fuel filter removal choices are as follows…
Meh, just cut out the section that's in the way.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
322 Posts
  • Remove the entire truckbed to get access.
  • Remove nothing, spin off the filter, and get a bath in diesel fuel. Then throw the clothes you were wearing in trash.
Yes Sir, In my altered reality the choices are that simple.:)
I drain the filter in to a bottle using a 5/16 hose. Then spin it of. Never get fuel on me?

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil filter cap. Genosgerage.com/ Spin your filter off. Drop it down. Spin the oil filter cap on. Turn it horizontal and take it out through your R/F Wheel well. Remove the filter cap. Drain the oil in your oil pan. Go drink 3 beers….

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts
About the only thing I’ve never whined about on my 16 3500 is the oil filter change. 🤔
Thats probably because compared to changing the rear fuel filter, the oil filter is like a day off with pay. 🤣
Oh geez… Here we go.

·
Registered
335 Posts
you can pre-fill the oil filter ....easily using the cap off tool :) :)

Reactions: WillyJ

·
Registered
2021, 2500 Bighorn Night Edition, 6.7, 4x4 off-road package
10 Posts
Oil filter cap. Genosgerage.com/ Spin your filter off. Drop it down. Spin the oil filter cap on. Turn it horizontal and take it out through your R/F Wheel well. Remove the filter cap. Drain the oil in your oil pan. Go drink 3 beers….
Guess FF’s think alike 😝. I mentioned the same thing and got a bunch of hate on the cap.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts