Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Nice!
I’m just pokin fun. But really relocating it is a fix for something that’s not broken. Asking for problems for no reason.
I would worry more about oil starvation to the turbo TBH.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Y'alls have any tricks for not making a mess when un screwing the filter and lowing it down to rest it on the trey? Seems like the last couple times once I unscrew it oil starts running down the filter and makes a little mess, and oil keeps driping from the filter housing... Nothing big but its enough that i have clean up after.
What I do is I take the air intake off the turbo and use a filter wrench to loosen it and take it off with hand and pull it out through the top and I NEVER have a mess. I don’t use that rubber cap thing that other use. Nothing but the filter wrench and my hand. Then I fill the filter with about a quart of oil or more and install same way I took it out. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1995 2500 WD 5 Spd Standard Cab
2 Posts
Y'alls have any tricks for not making a mess when un screwing the filter and lowing it down to rest it on the trey? Seems like the last couple times once I unscrew it oil starts running down the filter and makes a little mess, and oil keeps driping from the filter housing... Nothing big but its enough that i have clean up after.
Ha! I change the oil in both my cummins under a shade tree.. I dribble a lot, but the only mess is running down my arm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have this down to a science...
I use a small ( 500ml ) yoghurt or sour cream container. Be sure to cut the edge that the lid snaps onto, off.
I undo the clip on the wire loom and move that cable towards the engine, then unscrew the filter, drop it gently onto the frame rail, then push the container onto the filter. Lift it from the rail and turn it sideways towards the tire and gently wiggle it out holding it from the container. Never spill a drop. But make sure you get the right container.. mine is a perfect fit for the Cummins/ Mopar filter.
I even run the motor till it’s warm first and I have never had any dripping. I do pull the drain plug first and leave the filter till that is pretty much done. Also because it’s hot by the filter! Lol.
To put the new filter in.. I do the reverse.
Wipe the container well (and make sure the gasket came out with the old filter) then fill the new filter 3/4, wipe some oil on the gasket and put the container on.
Slide it in horizontally, turn and drop it onto the frame rail that is the whole issue to just dropping it straight down... let it sit there while I remove the container. Then lift it up from the top, until I can get my other hand onto the bottom and thread it on.
Put the drain plug back in and fill’er up

·
Registered
2021, 2500 Bighorn Night Edition, 6.7, 4x4 off-road package
10 Posts
My friend has a YouTube channel and recommends this cap that you screw onto the oil filter. When you take the filter off, there’s a little space it can rest upright on just underneath. Screw the plug on and now you can tip it on its side. Same deal for putting it in with filter filled up. Here’s the video link:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I let my oil drain before I remove the filter, when I do remove the filter i never have any over filled or dripping canisters. I also ordered a filter cap from Geno's garage and when I lower the filter i screw the cap on and remove the canister with no spills. Never a messy job for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drill a hole in the oil filter and let it drain into a pan or bucket. Done deal.. Do it after you drain the oil. Next, Install the new filter, put the new oil and then youll be good to go terrorize the streets in your Cummings in less than a heartbeat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Drill a hole in the oil filter and let it drain into a pan or bucket. Done deal.. Do it after you drain the oil. Next, Install the new filter, put the new oil and then youll be good to go terrorize the streets in your Cummings in less than a heartbeat.
Obviously you have never actually done this. Because if you had you would know it's not possible. There is a reason the filter needs to come out sideways or out the top.🍆

·
Registered
64 Posts
My friend has a YouTube channel and recommends this cap that you screw onto the oil filter. When you take the filter off, there’s a little space it can rest upright on just underneath. Screw the plug on and now you can tip it on its side. Same deal for putting it in with filter filled up. Here’s the video link:
Thanks... My container was free and worked well so I never bothered to look for something else... but that cap/tool looks so much better! I am going to order one for my next change. I love the little handle on it!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks... My container was free and worked well so I never bothered to look for something else... but that cap/tool looks so much better! I am going to order one for my next change. I love the little handle on it!!!
Totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
talk about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.. jeeze
yeah cause we all wanna remove our air box hose and use a ghetto plastic bag like you…check your post on page 1. Some people like to be organized and clean. No need to troll forum topics and spread negativity.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
yeah cause we all wanna remove our air box hose and use a ghetto plastic bag like you…check your post on page 1. Some people like to be organized and clean. No need to troll forum topics and spread negativity.
1. Air "tube" takes 30 seconds to remove (you don't need to remove the box, never said that)
2. "ghetto" plastic bag? is this a vanity thing? too good to use a bag? its cheap, effective and efficient.
3. the bag is about as clean and organized as it gets! not a drop spilled, same bag then wraps up the old filter so it doesn't make a mess.
4. Troll? negativity? no sir, I just promote people not wasting money and time on stupid crap. no need to reinvent the wheel here.

But yes, lets waste resources to design, produce, sell and ship something to improves on this rudimentary task, that makes sense. Maybe not "improves", but at least is not ghetto. Buy one now, something tells me that product wont be produced very long.

EDIT: Holy crap I just watched that video fully. That actually looks way harder than pulling the intake tube off and working form the top. The wrench for the filter was kinda cool I guess if your is stuck on for some reason. Id still rather stick to my universal rubber band style filter wrench. I just use my hand to take it on and off. If you need a wrench you're putting it on too tight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To each his own. I’ll even give your way a shot with just taking off the filter hose and use a plastic bag. You do you man.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Drive a long pointed punch in the bottom of the old filter, pull it out and let the oil drain out before removing it, into the drain pan.

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts

21 - 40 of 62 Posts