Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'alls have any tricks for not making a mess when un screwing the filter and lowing it down to rest it on the trey? Seems like the last couple times once I unscrew it oil starts running down the filter and makes a little mess, and oil keeps driping from the filter housing... Nothing big but its enough that i have clean up after.

·
Registered
335 Posts
stick an old tshirt in the hole to rest the filter on...use a cap off tool. suggest youtube...many videos out there.

·
White Lightning
13,384 Posts
Let it sit for a couple hours before you you remove the filter.
This......can’t explain the process, but the engine actually seems to “siphon” some of the oil from the filter after a few hours.

If you’re removing it via the wheel well opening....a cap off tool would be best, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This......can’t explain the process, but the engine actually seems to “siphon” some of the oil from the filter after a few hours.

If you’re removing it via the wheel well opening....a cap off tool would be best, as mentioned above.
thanks. ill try letting it set.. I use the cap on the filter when pulling it out of the wheel well..

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Letting it set works well. I usually let it set overnight and drain it the next day. Never any issue.

·
Registered
595 Posts

The oil cools off and contracts.

·
08 Cummins
2,245 Posts
Let it sit for a couple hours before you you remove the filter.
That's what I do. I get the engine up to temp and drain the oil. I let the truck sit for an hour or two before pulling the filter though and I'm able to drop it out without spilling any oil. There is normally about 3/8" of space at the top of the filter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I drain the oil for about an hour then change the filter nothing spills I also use the capoff tool to drag it through that little opening that they made to small.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Once you get the filter loose, slide a gallon freezer bag over it and just loosen it until it drops into the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is it worth relocating the filter in the new trucks that you can't drop straight out the bottom?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Is it worth relocating the filter in the new trucks that you can't drop straight out the bottom?
No absolutely not. The filter is 100% perfectly fine right where it’s at. Don’t be a baby just use a grocery bag and change it like everyone else’s :p

·
Registered
595 Posts
No absolutely not. The filter is 100% perfectly fine right where it’s at. Don’t be a baby just use a grocery bag and change it like everyone else’s :p
Um ok, if I ever get a new truck I'll try not to be a baby about getting my hands dirty. LOL

Reactions: s10010001

·
Joe @ DDP Motorsports
1,442 Posts
I like the filter where it's at from the factory. Secured out of the way where it won't get ripped off by road debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 62 Posts