Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a scanner that I can check Converter lockup with on a 48re (Like actual lockup pressure)?

I have verified ECM is sending converter lockup signal via Insight monitor, and also manually attempted to lock it up with a wire to ground on the tcc circuit wire. No lockup, no codes...

Need to Figure out if I have a bad TCC solenoid on the Valvebody or if its going to be something thats more fun to figure out. Have read it can be simple as filter or poss TIPM or an alternator. Doubt its the converter, but irt was locking up as it should perfectly and then one day like viola... no lockup

Pan was off 1200 miles ago and filter changed and fluid refreshed, noticed trans operating warmer than usual a couple days ago on the freeway, instead of 165 or so up in the 220s.. verified lockup signal being sent, but converter not locked.

Conveters not locking up in or out of tow mode etc.

Trans is built with Altos Kolenes +1 powerpacks, Transgo kit GM solenoid All billet sonax poistons actuators etc and billet I/O shafts. Billet converter. Rigid band billet strut and anchor etc.

SHifts great no other issues fluid looks good on stick.

Rreally dont want to blindly chase my ding dong... Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Need to Figure out if I have a bad TCC solenoid on the Valvebody or if its going to be something thats more fun to figure out.
On the trans sol connector, verify for 12V on pin 1.

Then at pin7 verify for 12V before lockup (no lockup signal) and zero volt after ECM sends the lockup signal.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I had a problem with no OD. My thread is here. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...730-48re-will-not-go-into-overdrive-help.html

TCC lockup and OD are in the same part of the VB and are very related electrically and hydraulically. When the ECM commands lockup and/or OD, the high pressure boost valve kicks the internal line pressures way up. You can observe this with a 200 psi wet hydraulic gauge (under $20 on ebay).

Go to this dropbox and download your factory service manual (for an 06), the ATSG manual, and the valuable trans links document. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/81mtpw6h29nct9h/AADFUT79CVpu_LcpdZOLxp5ja?dl=0

Go to pages 21-1277 to 21-1281. The complete hydraulic testing procedure and what each means is there. You need the gauge and some tubing (1/8" or 1/4" copper works) and then a 1/8" npt male fitting to screw into the trans housing. It's very simple and informative test. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
On the trans sol connector, verify for 12V on pin 1.

Then at pin7 verify for 12V before lockup (no lockup signal) and zero volt after ECM sends the lockup signal.
Yes the second step would be checking the pressure.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
AGREED! Always check the wires before the messy stuff! lol :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mposey01

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Obviously there was NO/LOW pressure there since there was NO OD.
Just needs to confirm the power and ground to solenoid before replacing the solenoid.
After putting in a new/good solenoid then you can blame the valve body after checking the pressure.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Does a bad solenoid still ohm around 33/34 ohms?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Does a bad solenoid still ohm around 33/34 ohms?
The was no definite answer here. I would assume it's good at this moment.
The coil resistance could be good but the insulation bad.
It depends in what way it gone bad.
Checking resistance is only one the procedure that would help to determine a bad solenoid but would not give me a firm conclusion.
For me I would to see the operation of the solenoid even it's ohmmed out OK.
A solenoid valve can be electrically sound but mechanically stuck/suck.
It's GOOD only if it's energized and I see the pressure I want to see.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine threw the TCC OD code last night

pulling the pan tonight

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How. Theres no confirmation that pressure is correct tin the TCC circuit... AFAIK there is no REAL way to verify?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
You can see if the vb is kicking the line pressure up when it locks up the TCC or shifts into OD. It should.

Reactions: GoodSamaritanMx

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It goes into overdrive perfectly fine.. Its the TCC thats the issue.. Leadingme to think faulty solenoid.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weird thing is its a built trans and has been fine for 28K miles... Changed the Flex plate out fdue to the old one being broke and this started happening shortluy after thant and a filter change

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
It goes into overdrive perfectly fine.. Its the TCC thats the issue.. Leadingme to think faulty solenoid.
Ok so it's the TCC solenoid. My bad.:spank:
Just listen to what ECM said.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya it has the Billet GM governor sol in it ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Subscribing for drop box link

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.