Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is There Any Advantage Or Disadvantage To Removing The Cat?
I Have A Hi Flow Muffler. I Been Hearing That It Increases Flow And More Diesel Smell. Dodge Dealer Said It's Illegal To Remove According To Fed. Is That True?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Alot of people took it off along with the muffler. I have and i love the sound of it, id never put it back on. Depending on where you live it might not pass emissions but thats just part of it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
technically it is illegal. Does anyone really care? No one here will judge you ;)

Your an '06 so I think you will pass inspection because you dont have to emissions test (...I think...) but, (like xdac said) it depends on where you live. But technically it is illegal. I think its technically illegal to "modify" your exhaust in anyway, like throwing on a cat-back is technically illegal, but I could be wrong on that.

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
diesel is all about FLOW. taking off the cat means more flow. better milage. and more smoke ;)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Unless the Cat is plugged up you will not see that much extra flow from removing it on a stock engine. I've read from several people who have reported a drop in low end TQ and also a drop in mpg after removing there Cat, but then every engine is different so YMMV. IIRC it is illegal to remove your Cat ( its federal law) but most states don't enforce it on Diesel trucks only on cars, but if your state does inspections and you take it off they could make you put one back on.

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
and the other good thing is when you pop the hood or look under your truck you wont have a cute lil fury thing under there my 99 didnt come with one as far as I know it never had one off of show room floor.. I have pulled the cat out of everything I own gas or diesel..

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
and the other good thing is when you pop the hood or look under your truck you wont have a cute lil fury thing under there my 99 didnt come with one as far as I know it never had one off of show room floor.. I have pulled the cat out of everything I own gas or diesel..
I guess that is why you don't live on the west side of the state as they smog check cars for things like Cats and other stupid stuff before you can get your car/truck license renewed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dealer might not like it if you ever take it back either

1 - 8 of 8 Posts