Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys- done a lot of searching on this problem, but not many people seem to have the exact problem I am having. Looking for anyone that can help and has seen an actual solution. The other day, my High beams just quit working. Low beams work fine. These are regular Sylvania Silverstar light bulbs. I used to have DDM HID's on the truck but took them off and went back to regular bulbs because I just had too much trouble with them. I use a Boss plow with my truck and the plow's high beams don't work either. When I pull the stalk back, the blue indicator light comes on, but nothing from the lights- not even a flash. No other control functions of the stalk are incorrect or failing. Everything works fine except the high beams. Checked the bulbs and they are fine- both filaments look good. A lot of my searches indicate it is likely the TIPM or the switch in the column, but I would like to see if anyone out there has had this problem and what it turned out to be before I throw in the towel and head to the dealer with Vasoline in hand... :banghead:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
theres a computer in the fender that runs your lights. I had the same problem last year with my plow. Dealership wants 300 bucks to replace and thats just for part. and another 100 to check it. I myself said screw it and just ran a wire from one light to the other which actually jumped it from the other computer on the other side and it works just fine. What you can do to test and only takes 15 mins is pull your headlight out on both sides and take a wire and shove it in the back of the harness for bulbs so you can check. then turn head lights on and check then check brights. If you have anymore questions let me know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
definitely interested in checking everything out before I go to the dealer. When you say "shove a wire" where are you referring to? Which portion of the headlight bulb connector? I guess I am just not following what you're describing. Could you give me some more detail of exactly where I need to put this wire and what it's designed to accomplish? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If i remember right is has 3 wires that run to the harness. you clip your bulb in on one side and wires are on the other side. Need to figure out which one is the brights since they are out. and run the wire from one side to the other. Hopefully its the same problem I had since its easy. But have you checked your fuses and relays yet? I sent you a PM too

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately mine is an 06 which means it has NO fuses or relays- apparently everything is in the TIPM. I am still interested in trying the tip you mentioned. I need the truck for this upcoming weekend to go riding up north but once I get home I will dig into it. May end up having to call you. THanks for your ideas though.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
No problem. its atleast an easy chance to take to see if its the problem. I haven't had any issues since i have done this

·
Registered
422 Posts
take it to the dealer and have them reset the TIPM. there was also a TSB that reprogrammed it so it wouldn't permanently turn off a circuit. I lost my low beams due to my HID's and argued with the service manager about it being a safety hazard. Just make sure you don't tell them you had HID's, they almost didn't reprogram mine because of that history.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You sure the issue isnt with the headlight adaptors for the plow? Try taking those out once and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I took plow off so it was factory then tried taking off the harness for lights then i went my way and jumped from one side to the other. He's got a couple things to try out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts