Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cracked the line right before the lift pump and no fuel. is there a fuel pump in the fuel tank. (may sound like a dumb question.) Im really confused. my truck ran fine then shut off and it wont start back up. like i said i cracked the fuel line before the lift pump and prime and tried to start it and there was no fuel coming out. Can anyone please help on this situation its my daily driver and i need it back. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
Well it seems your going to have to figure uot this pump in the fuel tank problem first. Your going to need at least 3-5 PSI worth of fuel pressure.

But typically the factory fuel pump was in the driver side of the block with a priming lever. :confused013:

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
11,118 Posts
Cracking a line BEFORE the lift pump is not gonna get you anywhere. The lift pump on the side of the block is what draws the fuel to the engine. Crack the line somewhere between (AFTER) the Lift pump and the Injection Pump. Then work toward the Injectors.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
jmd025: oh alright well the only reason that i tried cracking the line that went into the lift punp was because i did it before and a lil bit of fuel came out. but i will try a line that goes into the injestor pump and go from there. Thanks for the info oh also another question is there a fuel pump in the tank or does the lift pump in the side of the block take the place of an in tank fuel filter?

·
Banned
400 Posts
No, the fuel goes from the tank to the pump, to the filter up under the intake manifold and from there to the Injection pump. There's a bleeder screw on the side of the manifold right above the filter there, used for bleeding the filter after a filter change.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Make sure you have 12 volts going to the fuel shutoff solenoid and that the connection at the top of that solenoid is good. If the solenoid is not getting a signal to start, you will never get the truck running.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
paccool: i had that problem before and i stressed over it and then i saw that one of those was unplugged so i pluged that wire back in and started right up. i thought i had the same problem this time but everything is pluged in down there so idk what to do. im going to try and get a voltage tester and try that after work tomorrow and see how that goes.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
Make sure you have 12 volts going to the fuel shutoff solenoid and that the connection at the top of that solenoid is good. If the solenoid is not getting a signal to start, you will never get the truck running.
Or you can take the pin out of the solenoid and screw the body back in. That will allow it to run anytime. But you'll have to use the mechanical shutdown on the side of the pump. Another way of doing it...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What solenoid? the one towards the bottom or top?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh well that was easy. so just take that nut off and if the solenoid is the problem it wont start but if it isnt it should

·
Banned
400 Posts
No, it's not just a nut, unless you are referring to the nut that holds the wire on. It's a solenoid assembly that needs 12v to open the plunger inside and allow fuel to flow.

Do you have a multimeter or test light? If so, you should be able to use it to see if the shutdown solenoid id getting 12v with the key on. If not jump it straight off the battery and it will allow fuel to flow, if it's still working.

You can eliminate the shutdown solenoid by removing it and taking out the spring and plunger and replacing the empty body. Then you must shut down the engine with the mechanical fuel shut off lever.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
ike my buddy truck the solenoid look totally normal but was fired out internally so we just un-screwed it and pulled the plunger out of it and the spring. Then screwed it back in. Then it could start but he would stall it out by dropping the clutch on it...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i got to work on my truck today. i tested the solenoid and there is powere going to it. so i pulled the lift pump off and am getting a new one today. Do you think that the lift pump will solve the problem? If now what else do you think it could be:confused013: Thanks for the info

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well put the new lift pump on today and tries to start and it would turn over but not fire. then i pulled the cylinder that the spring sits in and the spring, tightened it up and put the 2 wires back on it and still no start.:confused013: what else could it be. :banghead:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well im gettin fuel to my ip. but kinda a stupid question but i have never done it before. how do you bleed injectors? and how do you take the grid heaters off? and i have a new fuel filter but i want to figure out this problem first before i go and put the new filter on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts