Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
17,991 Posts
Are you saying this is the first time you have changed the filter? How long have you had the pickup? Have you read Joe G's description on how the system works? Joe G's fuel system writeup

· Registered
17,991 Posts
To start, loosening the banjo bolt isn't a necessary step when the filter is changed. Crack the bleed bolt, pump the air out of the filter using the manual plunger, tighten the bleeder, a couple more pumps on the manual plunger.

You can determine if the shutoff valve is moving inside the IP by looking at the rod that sticks out about 3/4 inch on the engine side of the IP. It isn't a common occurance but the woodruff key that connects the FSS lever to the rod has been known to shear. If you can see the rod rotate on the top of the IP when you move the FSS up and down it is good. If it is sheared I have read that the keys are only available in quantity so someone who has had to replace theirs probably has a bunch of them. The size has been posted a couple times.

If you have never replaced the rubber lines in the system I would venture the time has come to replace them.

· Registered
17,991 Posts
The squeak comes from the OFV. Sounds like a wet fart. not that I'd know, LOL.

· Registered
17,991 Posts
I can understand the difficulty of seeing the shaft move. I think you can clean it with a couple shots of brake or electrical cleaner, then mark it with a sharpie held with a pair of pliers. With a mark on it you can see it move. It only moves about 1/4th turn.

· Registered
17,991 Posts
Perhaps pushing the lever out of the way to remove the cover of the gov springs? Or removing the lever to do the springs and not realize there is a tiny little key in there, which is probably more likely. A lot of speculation with no real answer.

· Registered
17,991 Posts
Dumb question here. Are you sure there is fuel in the tank? Did you confirm the rod is rotating? As a FYI, genuine Cummins lift pumps are made in China. I have trouble believing the pumps in your link are genuine Cummins however, regardless of the box they come in. I would run from a $27 lift pump.

· Registered
17,991 Posts

· Registered
17,991 Posts
Did not know there was a prefilter screen. Where is it located?

· Registered
17,991 Posts
Did I miss something? You said $160 at O Reileys and your getting a genuine cummins for $50?
You missed the e-bay ad showing a pump positioned on a Cummins box and my post that if it is a genuine Cummins it is stolen.

• Haha
Reactions: 9412valvecummins

· Registered
17,991 Posts
So you didn't get a genuine Cummins? The weep hole is circled.

Motor vehicle Red Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Train Gas Motor vehicle Font Auto part

· Registered
17,991 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: mickri

· Registered
17,991 Posts
What really surprised me was the housing was barely finger tight. It came off with no force at all.
I believe you have stumbled on the cause. If the filter bowl wasn't tight it probably was the air leak.

edit; I see YogiBayor beat me to it. Lift pumps don't normally fail without warning. I wouldn't be surprised the engine will start if you reinstall the old one.

· Registered
17,991 Posts
Once again I'm not sure you read Joe G's write-up. The "center section" is the heater that most of us discard.

· Registered
17,991 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts