1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummings
Fuel Filter (both WIX) and Oil/ Filter Change
Changed the oil and the fuel filters. Attempted to start and just one click of the starter, I had a leak in the driver side housing- (bad O-Ring seat). Removed and replaced o-ring, tightened everything back up, no leaks. Truck will not start. It bumps, but nothing past that. I tried putting the old filter back in, still nothing.

The truck manual alerts me that it has a 'No Filter No Start' function. I am thinking this is what is going on, but have no idea how to clear it. I tried unplugging all connectors on the housing, blowing them off/ out, cleaning inside the filter housing. I am at a loss. Days back and forth, Ram dealership service hadn't heard of my issue. Please help? Much appreciated...!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Are you saying when you press the start button (or turn the key) it turns over for a split second then stops on its own or are you saying it cranks but won't start?

If it cranks but does not start, the fuel filters might not yet be primed. It takes a handful or more of "bumps" to get the system primed, more than I expected it would.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying when you press the start button (or turn the key) it turns over for a split second then stops on its own or are you saying it cranks but won't start?

If it cranks but does not start, the fuel filters might not yet be primed. It takes a handful or more of "bumps" to get the system primed, more than I expected it would.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BadUnit- thanks for the reply!
Turn the key, the starter engages for a split second, and then nothing.
Getting plenty of fuel in the housing. I have tried to engage the key several times in a row, same result.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
You may have used the wrong fuel filter. Some knockoff filters don’t have the built in piece to hold the check valve open so fuel can pass. Don’t start the truck anymore until you get the proper filter.
This could hurt/kill your CP3 as it tries to pump fuel. Basically the fuel supply to the CP3 is shutoff.
I just reread your post. You said you reinstalled the filter. Which one? The rear also has a check valve IIRC which keeps fuel from siphoning out of the fuel tank while swapping the filter. It is engaged when the filter seat is broken. I guess it is possible you have a damaged check valve at one of the housings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Jared. The truck will not start at all. I re-installed the front fuel filter that was in it previously (when it ran). Still no luck with that. This makes be believe its not the filter, but something else.
The starter just bumps very quickly and then nothing, essentially it's not even turning over.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Wix doesn’t make a proper filter for 13 and up trucks. They claim they do but the filter number crosses to a fleet guard 43255 not a 53000 that fits 13 and up. draw your own conclusion.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Did you make sure that the WIF sensor on the rear fuel filter is connected?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
If the starter isn’t cranking, wouldn’t that be a battery issue?
Could very well be. I jumped to the filter because we had posts about no start with cheap aftermarket filters. When I reread the post it sounds like you’re on the right track.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Have you tried jumping it or putting it on a battery charger to rule out a battery/starter issue?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts