Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
As long as the head is off, why not take it to a good machinist and have the valves done? They can magnaflux it, check the valve seats, springs etc and check for warpage and mill it, etc if required. Chances are the bottom end will have many more miles in it. The labor to R&R the head is half the battle, and you've already done that.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
The #2 piston has a few marks in it , but the cylinder wall is fine.
Just for peace of mind...
Where the blow by area is on the piston, I would also use several stacked thin feeler gauges to check bore to piston clearance. Compare to another bore.

Looking at photos - it seems clearance is little tighter. Would not want any piston rub. It could just be carbon...

Bob G.
Ir

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just for peace of mind...
Where the blow by area is on the piston, I would also use several stacked thin feeler gauges to check bore to piston clearance. Compare to another bore.

Looking at photos - it seems clearance is little tighter. Would not want any piston rub. It could just be carbon...

Bob G.
Ir
Piston clearance is not checked at the top of the piston above the rings. It's measured on the piston skirt below the rings, fyi.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
I’ve done exactly what GAmes is suggesting on a piston with much more damage years ago and the rig is still running today. The marks you see are very minimal. Looks like the pushed out gasket did it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts