Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving went to stop after getting on it a bit and put the clutch in to downshift and it wouldn't come out pf gear. Forced it out pf gear but it wouldn't go back in. The clutch wont disengage and when I start it in gear with the clutch in it lunges forward and the pedal just turns to mush. I bought abit new slave cylinder hopping it was that but when I pulled the old one out there wasn't any fluid leaking. Reservoir is full and no burning clutch smell.

Any ideas also does anyonyone know what size the bolts for the slave cylinder in the nv5600 are for some reason the old ones are jacked up and wont hold.

Need help asap any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pull the slave cylinder out of the bell housing and pull the clutch fork all the way back as far as it will go. Then put the tape measure against the clutch fork where the slave cylinder rod normally contacts it and push in. There should only be 1/2" to 5/8" of forward movement. If you have more than this it means one of two things.

Either the wire clip broke that holds the other end of the clutch fork on the pivot ball or the pressure plate diaphragm is stuck which means the clutch is probably toast.

Let me know what you find. I hope it's just the wire clip, but either way if the clutch fork movement is more than a 1/2" you will need to pull the trans for further inspection.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I did it and when I pulled it towards me it seemed like it was just hanging and I heard something small fall down in the bell housing

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm thinking hydraulics. I only say that because it happenned to me. I could only drive it if I started it in gear and had to shutoff the engine to stop. Also, there were no leaks. I figured, start simple. I replaced the slave with no help. I replaced the master with no help. Then I realized that with the routing of the hydraulic line, it is a PITA to bleed. I got the air out and no problems. About a year an a half later, I replaced the clutch. The spring holding the clutch pivot was half missing. A little frustrated (working in 30 degree temps in the rain) I just put it back in. Still no problems.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Also, the way it is set up, as long as there is some tension on the clutch fork, it can't come off of the pivot ball unless you have some serious wear and/or rust.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I decided to pull the tranny and so far the clutch looks ok but I doubt the throwout bearing is in good of shape

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well pulled it and that stupid clip that holds the fork to the ball joint on the tyranny was laying in the bell housing half bent. Is this most likely my problems?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts