Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999, 2500, Quad Cab SLT, 4x4, stock
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m 17 and I made a deal with my dad that if I fixed the no bus error on his 99 Cummins I could have it. I have a little idea where to start. The speedometer starts at 15 mph and stays 15 above as you drive. I was wondering if that had any connection to the no bus error. I would love to have any advice, thank you.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
Great trade!

Does the Wait to Start light come on immediately every time the key is turned on?
Scan with a good scan tool.

Please fill out your signature so we know the information about the truck.
It's a '99, but which transmission?
Which lift pump?
Does it have a full time fuel pressure gauge? You'll want one.
Stock? Chipped? 4x4? Quad cab?
How many miles?

Per BigFish
The first thing to do is pull the batteries and test them separately.
If they're not good, replace both with new, good batteries.
Clean and polish terminals and cables and make sure they're making good contact.
Check all electrical connections and grounds and make sure everything is solid.
Clean or replace anything that's exposed, corroded, or damaged.

There's a lot of great information collected here over the years.
Use the Advanced Search option.
For instance, I found this that might help... but I haven't taken the time to read through it.

·
Registered
1999, 2500, Quad Cab SLT, 4x4, stock
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will fill it out right away. Thanks for the tips! The wait to start light does not come on. When I first turn the truck on it takes about 20 seconds for the no bus to come on and then stays until the truck is turned off. It does not seem to affect the performance of the truck though.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Yeah, the delay for WTS light is classic ECU issue.
You can have it repaired but the truck would be out of commission for the duration.
If you buy another board and plan on keeping the truck I'd eat the core charge and repair the one you have for a spare.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
It's a great truck for repairing the "No Bus" issue.
You'll also want to check the fuel pressure.
The stock lift pump is notorious for failing.
Your VP44 needs 14 pounds of fuel pressure at all times, not dropping below 10.
Install a full time fuel pressure gauge in the cab so you always know what's going on.
And you'll want to use a fuel additive to protect that VP44.
There's a list of additives that actually work.
Research both here on the forums.

Reactions: GMooney

·
Registered
19,948 Posts
Welcome, First always pull codes wih ta scan tool. Buy one. About 40 bucks at Harbor Freight or Autozone. Owning ne is the first tool to buy on these trucks. Codes can be found here:

Used parts can be found here: Car-part.com, or Craig's list auto parts section. Put in Dodge ram.

If you have a delayed WAIT to start light replacing ECM is must. Used will run about 2-600 bucks but a lost less than Rebuilt at . For used you have to use on off a 98.5 or 99. NOT 00-02. 98.5 or 99 is plug and play, no reprogramming etc. It may solve problem. If light is delayed, it is not communicating becasue it is not booting up properly.

If that does not also cure speedo, check the Speed sensor on the rear axle, replace and check the harness plug and wires near the diff.

Again Welcome, We are to help. PS, We Appreciate the good grammar, keep it up.

PIctures and Video with sound are always welcome and often very helpful in diagnosis.

Always pull codes for any running issue.
My 99 has 711K miles on it.
Almost always diagnose first, buy parts second, replacing parts just to "Try it" is very expensive.
Parts and best selection is at RockAuto, half of the price on Name brands, They carry almost all of them, even Mopar often.
On electrical parts always buy good name and store brands, never the cheapest no-name crap.

No hotrodding. A small power chip for about 50 hp and up to 150lb torque is good and then drive easy. If you want to hotrod it others can help more than me.

Reactions: GMooney
1 - 7 of 7 Posts