Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like i no longer have 4th gear on my tranny. Still works fine, no slipping or anything weird. The truck plowed all winter without a problem. What could it be? Truck is a 98.5 and is 100% stock.Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
18,680 Posts
does it go into 4th and then nothing? does it slip in and out? check your fluid to see if it is burnt or dark because it will stink bad if the clutches are burnt. if it is sliping in and out it might be a wiring problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does it go into 4th and then nothing? does it slip in and out? check your fluid to see if it is burnt or dark because it will stink bad if the clutches are burnt. if it is sliping in and out it might be a wiring problem.
It just acts like a 3 speed, no sign of 4th at all, fluid is fairly new and still red

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sounds electronic to me, but I would consider tossing in a can of transx just in case it has a stuck servo. I think (?) a scanner will pick up codes from the transmission. Look for P07** or P08** A scanner will be about $50 and is really handy to have.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds electronic to me, but I would consider tossing in a can of transx just in case it has a stuck servo. I think (?) a scanner will pick up codes from the transmission. Look for P07** or P08** A scanner will be about $50 and is really handy to have.
I will try that, i have a scanner but never even thought to check. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,680 Posts
that sounds right i bet it could be a electrical problem. check your battery post and all of your grounds. does the fluid look good because after you changed it is when the sliping started?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that sounds right i bet it could be a electrical problem. check your battery post and all of your grounds. does the fluid look good because after you changed it is when the sliping started?
I will check all of the connections. Fluid does look and smell normal and there is no slipping at all, nice firm shifts. It just acts like your driving with the OD off.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
OD solenoid. Maybe speed sensor, could be a lot of things. Pull the codes and start from there.

Ops

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Kind of a stupid idea, but you are talking about overdrive? Like the kind you have a button on the shifter? If so, it could also be a switch, but I might take a close look at all the fuses, too. Sure can't hurt, and it's pretty easy. (assuming you haven't already)

Basically the way I understand autos (never worked on them but studied in school) is that several planetary gear sets are transferring power at the same time. So if one band/clutch is not working, several gears won't work, and will slip. This doesn't sound anything like what you have going on :))) So since there's no code for the transmission, I would suspect contacts on the shift lever or the forementioned switch. At least that is what I am thinking... ?? In other words, look for something wrong BEFORE the transmission computer.

I HAVE seen contacts go bad on electronic autos in foreign cars. A cable goes to the transmission, but there are contacts in the shifter to select certain gears. When the contacts go bad, you have to wiggle the shifter to get first or second to kick in, or the reverse lights to kick on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes im talking about OD, there is no OD and no TC lock up, Button on shifter seems to be working, by that i mean the OD off light comes on in the cluster. Have checked all fuses and swapped the relay as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
is there any way the shift linkage is out of adjustment , maybe when you put it in drive you are putting it in the next lower gear !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts