Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 3500 4x4 (single rear wheels) with no front level kit with 285/70/17 toyo at's the specs show this tire to be 32.8 in height. The specs for the nitto at 295/70/17 is showing 33.19 in height, the 305/70/17 is showing 33.98 in height. Does anybody know if these tires will have enough clearance ( no rubbing without level kit) and what kind of luck you have had with this brand? Mabey some pics with these sizes?

·
Registered
277 Posts
jjm

I used to run 285/70/17 BFG A/T's and thought they looked a little too small for my application.

I then switched to Toyo A/T's in size 285/75/17 and it looks much better now.

The Toyo's are about an inch taller then the BFG's but are the same width.

Here is a picture of the 285/70/17 BFG's on my truck...

Here is after with the 285/75/17 Toyo's

:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
295/70-17 fit without a leveling kit

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hump
After I wrote yesterday I was looking at another thread and that toyo 285/75/17 was the disscussion, but I thought you had to have the level kit? Your truck looks real good with the toyo tires. By the way I was born and raised in W.V. (Ripley).

·
Registered
427 Posts
hump
After I wrote yesterday I was looking at another thread and that toyo 285/75/17 was the disscussion, but I thought you had to have the level kit? Your truck looks real good with the toyo tires. By the way I was born and raised in W.V. (Ripley).
I have set of these tires on order but won't install them until the end of July. I don't have a levelling kit and plan to try them without. I can always add one later. I know it will be close.

·
Registered
277 Posts
jjm

If your planning on putting the 285/75/17 Toyo's on the stock rims, then they should fit just fine without a leveling kit.

The Toyo's measure out to be 34" tall & 11 1/2" wide.

Mine are mounted on 17x9 Helo Maxx 8 rims with -12mm backspacing & I have no rubbing. Of course I do have aftermarket front coil springs from Sky Jacker.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I am running the 305/70/17's on my truck, But i put the leveling kit on before going to the 305's... but with the kit and the 305's i have no rubbin and no problems

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I can't decide to go with the nitto terra grappler AT 295/70/17 or the Toyo open country AT 285/75/17. Talked to guy the other day, he said he had 40k on his nittos, they still looked good. The only thing about the nittos in 295 is they are D rated, there was a 500lb difference in pay load per tire compared to the E rated toyos. The nittos are around $250 less (installed) than the toyos. I'm leaning to the nittos since I don't pull very much or if I do it is not a lot of weight. I don't drive it a lot anyway except for hunting on the weekends. What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you don't pull or carry any kind of significant weight, you can definitely get away with the D's. Remember, if you decide to use your one ton truck as it was intended, you will need a 10 ply tire. The squish on those D's is not confidence inspiring when loaded.

If it's a daily driver that doesn't see much weight, I say go for the D's if you want to save money.:thumbsup

On a side note; it's funny the different opinions on those Nitto's. I've heard opinions on completely different ends of the spectrum from great to awful. My local tire guy warned me that they wouldn't last under load. That's why I went with the Toyo's. I've never heard such contradicting opinions on a tire before.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i got nittos on mine and they lasted 50,000 plus and some that had a pretty good load on them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rizzo
I know what you mean about the "d" rated, I drive a E250 work van with E rated Michellins I had to use the shop van with D'S on it the other day because mine was having a brake job and I could tell the difference. We carry around about 2000lbs in those vans, thats right if I was using it like a 1 ton I would definately go with E rated.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
i dont think there a bad tire but like rizzo said got to watch your weight at times.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I Went With The 295/70/17, They Look And Ride Great! Thanks For All The Help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts