Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone take care of this recall from FCA US? Here is the number Y26/NHTSA 21V-398.

It has to do with incorrect wheel lug nut torque values printed in some owner's manuals, causing tire stores and shops to over torque the lug nuts and causing possible wheel stud failure and separation!
The notice also says "The remedy for this condition is not currently available". But they don't tell you what the proposed remedy will be?!
They also say that this could potentially lead to a "wheel separating from your vehicle" which could "cause a vehicle crash without prior warning"...

Nice to know just before leaving on a trip towing the 5th wheel! :oops:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recall UPDATE:
So I took both recall notices (also got one for the side air bags!) to my local Dodge dealer...
Typical clueless dealership interaction! They (of course) did NOT have the parts, the service advisor had NO idea when the parts would be in...new studs? new lug nuts? He had no clue.
THEN I asked what were the incorrect torque values that were supposedly in the owner's manual (apparently for years) and also what were the correct torque values?
YEP, once again no clue! :mad: So he didn't know what the correct process was for evaluating the condition of the wheel lug nuts and studs, didn't know what the correct torque values were.
Yes, we had quite an interesting (and embarrassing for him) discussion in front of several other customers. ;) So, it wasn't a total waste of time I guess...
HOWEVER, I then went to the shop that installed my Toyo tires a few months ago (4Wheel Parts) and they said in their records that they torqued the lug nuts to 145 lbs/ft. I called America's Tire and they showed the correct torque value was 130 lb/ft. :unsure:
So, who's right? I don't know, but when I asked 4Wheel Parts to look into it, they said the 130 number was for SRW 3500s, and 140 (NOT 145) was for DRW 3500. Different type of lug nuts and wheels. OK, 140/145 lb/ft is close enough...not gonna worry about it.
Of course, if FCA had just included actual data/information in their recall it would have been more helpful, but that would be asking too much I suppose! :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts