Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,,great site.I am thinking about buying a 2000 dodge 3500,24v.The truck has 175k,totally stock,transmission rebuilt 5k ago.All i really pull around is a couple of four wheelers and a rhino.I guess what i am asking is that ok mileage for the truck,,any major problems out of those years,,some things i need to look for on the truck before the purchase. Thanks Aaron

·
Registered
41 Posts
Search "53" block on here and make sure its not one of them, most people dont have problems with them but I would not purposely buy one. And see if the lift pump has been updated or replaced. Just a couple of things that I wish I knew when I was buying my first Dodge, luckily I dont have either problems:party018:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Mileage is fine for a Cummins, these trucks will run forever with the proper care. The truck will fall apart before the engine does. Two of the biggest issues with the second gen 24v are the fuel delivery and the auto trannys. I would ensure I had enough money to replace the stock lift pump with an aftermarket FASS or Airdog. If you're not planning on going overboard on performance, you can get a fairly cheap FASS or Airdog 90, and if you're mechanically inclined, install it yourself.
The fuel delivery system works by the lift pump pulling fuel from the tank and feeding it to the injection pump (VP44). The VP operates by using the fuel to lubricate the gears, so since the stock lift pump is pretty weak, it can starve the VP on fuel, causing the VP to burn up. Invest in a fuel pressure gauge, or at least a warning light, and an aftermarket lift pump, and that problem will be solved.
As far as the trannys go, the only major issues were with the auto trans, but if you search this site, there are tons of upgrades to fix it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts