Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm a newbie to the site. I've been lurking around trying to gain info on which direction I'd like to go. I have a 03 3500 and was thinking of buying a Bio station and making my own. That is until I realized I probably couldn't go with 100% bio in my 03.

Now I'm kinda thinking about WVO. There seems to be some favorable reviews of the CRD using veggie. I'm just wondering if it's gonna be a pain in the rear to go back and forth from regular diesel to bio and back making moderate length or short length trips.

I'm looking to substantially cut my fuel costs. WVO would do that if it would work well on my vehicle. I have considered selling my 03 and buying a clean 01 to do the Bio, but trucks are taking a big hit right now and I'm afraid I would get hurt too bad on selling mine.

Any input would be appreciated.

And BTW, Great site:hyper:
DC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DPF? sorry, please explain. I was under the impression that if I ran 100% bio that with the common rail the pressures are too high and polymerization would take place???
DC

·
Registered
108 Posts
Diesel Particulate Filter, aka soot filter. Trucks with a DPF (for Dodges it starts with the 6.7 motors) go through a "regen cycle to burn out all the soot when they get plugged up, and part of the process is injecting fuel into the cylinders post ignition which vaproizes and provides the fuel to burn the DPF clean. Bio does not vaporize as well as regular #2 diesel, so you end up with fuel wash in your cylinders that ends up in your engine oil....not a good thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so since I don't have a DPF I can run 100% home made bio? What about the clogging filter issues I've read about with polymerization ?(<---spelling??)
DC

·
Registered
45 Posts
so since I don't have a DPF I can run 100% home made bio? What about the clogging filter issues I've read about with polymerization ?(<---spelling??)
DC
IMO, B100, not WVO.

How many miles does your truck have? That will impact how often you will have to change out your fuel filter with B100.

Everyone says #2 diesel is inherently dirty - and I agree - if you have more then 50k miles on your truck (which I'd imagine you do, having an '03) I'd keep a few extra fuel filters on hand for all the gunk B100 will probably clean out.

Run a few tanks of B100 with frequent fuel filter changes and you'll be fine. But, this is my opinion with a VP44 reliant truck and FASS - keep an ear out for those common railers like yourself.

·
4,669 Posts
bio wont polymerize,and should run fine, wvo is a totally diff. from bio. Try reading on the BURNVEG dot COM forum on wvo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

Now here's a simple yet probably silly question. Is B100 and home made bio pretty much the same?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My self I would start out with B20 and work my way up to B100 so as to not clean all of the junk out of the fuel tank at one time an if any problems show up you can address it early.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My self I would start out with B20 and work my way up to B100 so as to not clean all of the junk out of the fuel tank at one time an if any problems show up you can address it early.
I just for the first time ever put Bio Diesel into my tank, I am currently running a B50 blend, so far i have not had ANY problems and when this tank is bone empty I intend on changing the fuel filter and running B75. After that I will just fill it up with pure bio juice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts