Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Newbie wants to know difference Between 12v & 24V?

5883 19
Went to go buy a truck yesterday and got the old bait and switch thrown at me. Of course I know that the difference is 2 valves or 4 valves per cylinder. Is this dual or single over head cams? Also I was told that the 24V has 40% less moving parts, which was hard for me to understand,is that true? They are supposed to be more efficient but how is that possible when you are letting in more fuel and air? Is there any problems that you guys are encountering with the 5.9 24v motors? It is in a 2006 model. Your advice or help is appreciated. Its just the 6.7 motors you want to stay away from right?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
Just buy a 12v, they rock, and they are way cooler.....plus you could be pimp like me and BEERPLAY...lol

But really......IMO, you can get so much more out of a 12v than you can a 24v, but thats just my .02

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many miles will it take before it starts "crapping guides"? I just want to pull my boat twice a month for 100 miles or so and once a year a 2000mile round trip. I mean am I sacrificing a lot in dependability?

G

·
man there are guys on here with bazillion miles on them and besides that unless you just want to drive a diesel for what your doing you dont need the power but they are fun

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
Buy a Duramax and enjoy the ride, quiet and no smoke. All the stock power you will ever need for your application. You want to race buy a 12 valve.
Well said....about the racing part that is...my dad has an '08 Duramax....we have a 4 horse bumper pull and when its loaded it wont pull it over 70 mph and if youre going uphill just forget it, a cummins pulls 1000000 times better then a Duramax....all depends on the size of your boat and if you like to drive fast when your loaded down. We haul :butt: to rodeos so if were runnin late we take my little sisers 6.0 instead of the Durashamp.....thats how sad it is....I was really dissapointed in how it pulls....but yeah super comfy seats, no smoke at all (no fun) and great ride....all depends on what youre wanting :thumbsup

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the only reason to get a 12V is because it can be configured easier for racing or tractor pulls. I just want it to pull my 24 foot fishing boat on the highway no offroad adventures or anything nuts just a boat puller.

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
If youre gonna leave it totally stock and never have any chance of doing any upgrades to it and all youre ever gonna do is pull youre boat every now and then, then I would say go with a 24v cause you can put a chip in it to get better mpg's. If you wanna ever have fun in the truck in the future then I would go with the 12v, they get really good mpg's anyway if you leave them stock. Mine got 23mpg when I bought it but it had smaller than stock tires on it and that was not hauling obvioulsly

· Registered
54 Posts
Well said....about the racing part that is...my dad has an '08 Duramax....we have a 4 horse bumper pull and when its loaded it wont pull it over 70 mph and if youre going uphill just forget it, a cummins pulls 1000000 times better then a Duramax....all depends on the size of your boat and if you like to drive fast when your loaded down. We haul :butt: to rodeos so if were runnin late we take my little sisers 6.0 instead of the Durashamp.....thats how sad it is....I was really dissapointed in how it pulls....but yeah super comfy seats, no smoke at all (no fun) and great ride....all depends on what youre wanting :thumbsup
Too bad about your dad's truck needs to get the thing to breathe, easy to defeat the DPF system. EFI live also easy to program and not not only make it a towing fool but good fuel economy as well. I tow a 36' goose neck with my 07, hauls the race truck and weighs about 15K, can tow it as fast as you want up anything. Mind you I have twin turbos, but the stock charger can be made to perform with tuning. Looking for some fast 12 valves to race with the new race truck. Too bad fuel is so damn expensive, really limits how far a guy wants to travel to race.

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
Yeah I think in your particular situation a 24v would suit your needs better

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
Too bad about your dad's truck needs to get the thing to breathe, easy to defeat the DPF system. EFI live also easy to program and not not only make it a towing fool but good fuel economy as well. I tow a 36' goose neck with my 07, hauls the race truck and weighs about 15K, can tow it as fast as you want up anything. Mind you I have twin turbos, but the stock charger can be made to perform with tuning. Looking for some fast 12 valves to race with the new race truck. Too bad fuel is so damn expensive, really limits how far a guy wants to travel to race.

Yeah thats exactly what I told my dad. I printed out some DPF deletes for him to look at and buy when he gets back from TYRA finals. Im game to race if youre ever in my area :thumbsup

· Registered
54 Posts
Yeah thats exactly what I told my dad. I printed out some DPF deletes for him to look at and buy when he gets back from TYRA finals. Im game to race if youre ever in my area :thumbsup
Trying to made Houston in Oct. Mind you this is a real race truck not a daily driver. How fast is your truck?

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
Trying to made Houston in Oct. Mind you this is a real race truck not a daily driver. How fast is your truck?
Yeah mine is a daily driver.....Im not scared to lose. Im not sure how fast it is, I just race people around here. Only one person has beat me and he is a good buddy of mine but his truck is ridiculously fast. I have beat a Mustang GT not that that is saying mych but I honsetly dont know how fast my truck is, Im sure you will beat me though:thumbsup Just ordered an '09 Challenger SRT8 Ill race you in that too....:lol3:

· Registered
54 Posts
My old daily driver ran 12.0 at 112 in the quarter, not sure about this one but wil find out this weekend, it heaver and I haven't turned up the power as much. Bent the rods in the last one on a stock motor. The race truck is out of your league, it's being built to be a 9 sec/ 140mph diesel drag truck on #2 only, single cab, gutted, full roll cage, 5500 lbs, massive twins, 100 lbs of boost, filled block, etc Looking to race Pro Street

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
If you can get to Houston I believe the dates are Oct 11 and 12 would like to meet you and ck out your 12 valve.
Alright, well my husband is out of town that weekend but Ill see what I can do :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.