Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'v been a member of the forum for awhile now just for the mass amounts of information. this is my first thread so take it easy on me.

I just had a couple questions and wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions to my plan. Looking for a 94-98 12v 5 speed. I will be using it as a DD and will be towing our enclosed trailer I use for racing mx on my quads. usually weighs about 6000-7000 pds. my plan for a truck would be gauges, valair clutch, BHAF, no fuel plate, pump tuning, 4K gsk, 60lb valve springs. would also like something to push some more boost, maybe a boost elbow set at 30-35 psi?
I'm about the only truck kid left in my high school and would like to throw down on all the little civics and ricers

also would like to say thanks to every on the forum I'v learned alot

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
sounds like a decent plan to me. If you are towing alot, you may think about putting a plate in it so you dont have to COMPLETELY drive by the egt gauge. IMO you dont have enough top on the HX35 to need the amount of fuel you deliver with no plate. Hell i can't clean up (or even come close) to cleaning up what i have on top with a #100...granted this IS a very aggressive plate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I wanted to avoid replacing the turbo as long as I could for cost reasons. the truck will tow fairly often, the egt's are a thing i worry about I want to be able to run it pretty hard and not have to high of temps. what plate would be a good choice? correct me if im wrong the lower the # of the plate the LESS aggressive it is?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
nope. look in the tech section. somewhere in there is a thread that shows the different designs. a #100 and a #0 r about the same aggression. a #10 is what alot of people use for a tow rig

·
Mid-Tenn Region President
252 Posts
yeah I wanted to avoid replacing the turbo as long as I could for cost reasons. the truck will tow fairly often, the egt's are a thing i worry about I want to be able to run it pretty hard and not have to high of temps. what plate would be a good choice? correct me if im wrong the lower the # of the plate the LESS aggressive it is?
If you worry about EGT's, open up airflow and minimize fuel...I forget your plans (I read them earlier) but I would suggest a 4 or 5 inch turbo back exhaust, BHAF (I know you had that down), an aftermarket intake manifold (Pusher is good-also a forum sponsor :thumbsup:), and a properly tuned pump. As far as fuel plates go, I like #10...it's a happy medium.

Good luck with your truck! :thumbsup:

If I've said anything wrong, someone please correct me, I don't know as much as some of you!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
save your money and use your stock intake horn, there is no difference other than it looks cool. other than that, yes....airflow moreso than fuel if you want low egts. low egts and good mileage exists in your ability to tune your afc.

·
252 Posts
Guess I stand corrected about the intake...thought a 3.5" would increase it a bit.

@12valvedriver Not to derail the thread...but, how much hp/tq you figure you're making with your setup?

·
252 Posts
double post...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I was planning on a BHAF, I wanted to get a 4 inch DP to a 4 inch Y pipe that would dump right behind both front tires, 5 inch tips tilted back alittle. it would be loud as piss i know but I'v never seen it done before and think it'd look pretty sweet blowing a haze from that area on both sides. i had a buddy do a couple photoshops of it. if I can find them I will post

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
well i was thinking about running it as a single but then i realized that i might want to spool it sometime before the next century lol

nope, gonna do twins with my hx :party018:

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
more air=less smoke, yes. what you gain with twins is kind of the best of both worlds. you get quick spool up but enough air on top to clean up the smoke and put down some serious hp.

the secondary (hx35) turbo starts to spool and feeds the primary (ht3b). this then spools the primary and gets your air on top. the spool up is governed on how well you have your secondary turbo to spool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always thought both were feed by exhaust, with the smaller turbo spooling fast which provides boost quickly then the larger turbo provides the rest of the boost once it was spooled.

MY understanding of your explination is that both turbos's are feed by the exhuast but yet the boost of small turbo is used to help spool the larger turbo. so boost going into the I/T is only from the larger turbo?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts