Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

First off I am a new member here and have never owned a diesel truck before... that said...I have a question about the tow ratings on the '12 3500's. Ive done a forum search a few weeks ago and didnt really find anything.

My truck has: auto trans, 8ft bed, crew, laramie, 3.73 gears, cummins, 4x4 and is rated at 13,300# towing. (according to Dodge)

Same truck with the "Max Tow" Package... can pull 18,500#(according to Dodge)

The only differance i can see is the aux trans cooler, and 4.10 gears...

I wouldnt see how the gearing would make that much of a differance in towing cap. i know it makes a differance going up grade, and i would get better towing mileage with larger gears and they make it a little better off the line.

so the only other differance is the extra trans cooler.... With this said, does that make the transmission the weak link?... and if i add a aux trans cooler does this increase my towing cap as well as save the tranny?

My Current Boss has a '12 GMC Denali 3500 DRW, and can pull 20,000# with 3.73 gears... Yet the cummins has more torque.... im failing to understand this.

Im looking at a fifthwheel thats about 15,500# with a hitch weight of a little over 3,500#'s and id like to be able to pull that w/o taring up something going from houston up through colorado and wyoming where im currently working. Im going to put a B&W goose neck hitch in the truck when i get home in Oct. if that matters lol.

I guess i just want to know if the stock truck can handle this without being "over loaded". Please educate me lol

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
2019 3500 CTD CC LB 2wd
682 Posts
Considering your GRAW is 6200lbs and your rear axle weight dry is around 2800lbsor more, adding 3500lbs plus another 150-200 for 5th wheel hitch your pushing 6500lbs. 300 over the axle rating. You really need a dually for that. Your tires are also at their limit with a 3500lb pin weight. Tranny cooler or 4.10s won't change the 6200lb rear axle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys,

Firedude, yeah i did get my ratings from a salesman. Where on the web site did you find that, i looked all over before i bought my truck and couldnt find anything with distintive #'s for a truck with 3.73 gears. Those are much more reasonable numbers for a 1 ton.

012Cummins, Yeah man i have a dually, since i was gunna get a big truck i thought i would do it right lol. Plus i wanted something that would do it all.

i kinda figured tires would come into play, with that kind of weight.

Thanks Fellas!

Matt

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thats dodge's numbers and legal highway numbers if you wanted to you can load that thing down with an un reasonable amount of weight and it will pull iit lol if that makes you feal better

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dieselmeat84 lol i know it will pull anything i can hookup to,or put in the bed or whatever, but i would like to keep my warranty for now and not tare too much up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We have the same truck, except mine is a Longhorn. I've researhed these numbers as well. You get conflicting numbers. For example, the dealer website says max payload is 4,750. The Ram chart says 4,330 for Longhorn and for yours it's 4,390. And then the sticker on the door says GAWR is 9,350.

What gets me with these door stickers is that they don't tell us what the empty weight is? Am I missing something here as to where the empty rating is so I know how much to load up with? Don't tell me I need to go to a weigh station for that, do I? :confused013:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think at the end of the day its what your Capable and Comfortable towing forget official numbers I know guys that have grossed over 50 thousand pounds its not safe but they got the load where it needed to go. saying that i know people that are not comfortable towing a 3 thousand pound pontoon boat so at the end of the day its what the driver is capable of not the truck!

·
Registered
396 Posts
exactly. Your best bet is to get your truck weighed. with gear, straps, hooks, axle wrench, gloves and full tank of gas. This is what I do anyway.

then take your observed weight and pull it from 21,500 and that will be the heaviest load you can legally haul without dealing with trouble from the DOT guys.
Also, once you get around 26,001 pounds you get into licensing restrictions. although in FL, RV's are exempt from those restrictions.

The curb weight on your truck is +/- 8,000 Similar to my old truck which was a 4x2 and that weighed 7667 loaded. The info on the Ram website is not surprisingly conservative. The door sticker on my truck says 21,500, the site shows 21,000 and my truck is about 250 pounds heavier then the site claims it should be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Guys, I know the cummins will pull anything... im not too woried about the motor. i just want to make sure everything from the flywheel back will survive the trip through the mountains and back. the numbers that were posted here from dodge are adiquate for the camper i want to pull, but i am going to have to get to a weigh station as discribed above and get the actual weight of the truck. It will also be nice to see how much the truck can pull.

Thanks again guys,

Matt

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Good to go then I guess. Didn't see that, just thought the drw would have a higher tow rating than my 2500 srw.

2500 ONLY comes in a SRW truck, his tow ratings ARE higher than in your 2500...

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
We have the same truck, except mine is a Longhorn. I've researhed these numbers as well. You get conflicting numbers. For example, the dealer website says max payload is 4,750. The Ram chart says 4,330 for Longhorn and for yours it's 4,390. And then the sticker on the door says GAWR is 9,350.

What gets me with these door stickers is that they don't tell us what the empty weight is? Am I missing something here as to where the empty rating is so I know how much to load up with? Don't tell me I need to go to a weigh station for that, do I? :confused013:
That's the easiest way to do it....takes all the guess work out of the equation.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Thanks Guys, I know the cummins will pull anything... im not too woried about the motor. i just want to make sure everything from the flywheel back will survive the trip through the mountains and back. the numbers that were posted here from dodge are adiquate for the camper i want to pull, but i am going to have to get to a weigh station as discribed above and get the actual weight of the truck. It will also be nice to see how much the truck can pull.

Thanks again guys,

Matt
Don't know about your year truck, but mine has the 4:10 rear end, it has a GVW of 12,200# and a GCWR of 24,500...I know the same year Dually, ('10) with the 3:73 rear end only had a GVWR of 21,000#...big difference and it's in the gearing...GVWR is same though..Newer 3500 dually added 100# more of GVWR, but I'm not sure what the GCWR is on a 12' 3500 DRW with 3:73..My 5er weighs in at 15,400# loaded and I"m under my trucks GCWR and RAWR. I didn't have to start cutting into RAWR..Sure this Cummins can tow a lot, but your doing the right thing by checking out how much weight you'll drop in the bed of the truck and how much GCWR of the combo will be..For the money we put in these trucks, no sense in going out of our way to abuse them...should by the right truck for the job....Your's can tow a lot of 5er's, but I'd still go by recommendations made by the manufacturer of the truck, I'm sure the people who designed and manufactured the truck know more about it than most of us on these forums. Yeah, there are safety measures built in and ALL trucks underestimate how much their truck can carry or tow, (doubt they want to go out of business by everyone that tows something by suing them)..but at what point DO you start abusing suspension or tranny...I don't know...to me, better safe than sorry...try to stay within the trucks weight capabilities, right wrong or indifferent....just because others do it, doesn't make it right, or safe....

Reactions: Charger_66

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, what I've noticed, Its nice to have a chart to tell me my GCWR or what ever, the total, weight rating between the truck and trailer. But with out this chart, I still can't figure out how to determine that from the door sticker. Basically, how are you supposed to explain to others of the rating.

Also, side note: I have 3.73 gears, giving me a 20k GCWR, but if I swap in 4.10 gears, that gives me 2k more legal towing. But my door sticker wouldn't change so in the end, for DOT purposes, it doesn't matter.

Maybe I'm getting lost here, but it seems like this can get way more difficult than it should be.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
So, what I've noticed, Its nice to have a chart to tell me my GCWR or what ever, the total, weight rating between the truck and trailer. But with out this chart, I still can't figure out how to determine that from the door sticker. Basically, how are you supposed to explain to others of the rating.

Also, side note: I have 3.73 gears, giving me a 20k GCWR, but if I swap in 4.10 gears, that gives me 2k more legal towing. But my door sticker wouldn't change so in the end, for DOT purposes, it doesn't matter.

Maybe I'm getting lost here, but it seems like this can get way more difficult than it should be.
Depends on what you want to do with the truck. Sometimes it takes a little more research when it comes to using one's truck to tow with....I've lived and learned over the years since I've been towing pop-up's, TT's, a HiLo and then 5th wheels....If, earlier on, I'd done the research, I'd probably saved a pile of money, but sometimes, you have to learn the hard way...With a little research on the towing topic, and visiting some other sites, such as rv.net, or talking with those who do know about towing weights and how to apply them, you come to learn what truck to buy to tow what rv...

When I purchased this 2010 dually, I initially looked at a one with the 3:73 rear end and found it only had a GCWR of 21,000#....I KNEW that was 2500# lower than the 07.5 Chevy D/A Dually I owned and that wouldn't work with my 5er....I shopped around until I found one with a 4:10 in it and upped the GCWR to 24,500# (1,000# more than the 07.5' Chevy Dually), BINGO, it also had 12,200# of GVWR versus the 11,400# of the Chevy....I was covered because I KNEW my weights on the Chevy with the same 5er...I wouldn't have purchased the Dodge with the 3:73, and for only $50 more, got the 4:10 option...

Once you find the truck you "HAVE" to have, or live with, THEN you match the 5er to the truck....I didn't plan on purchasing a truck, THEN purchasing a 5er and wondering if it could handle the weight, I knew what 5er I already had and matched the truck to it...and it's been an awesome tow vehicle for over two years now...completely stock...

I don't believe in the adages some use of "its way under rated, it'll tow anything", or "everyone else tows heavy", or even, "you'll be fine"...Hey, I paid GOOD money for the truck, I want to take care of it. With my family in it, I have valuable cargo that I don't want to take a chance on hurting by pushing the limits of my truck, so I'm one that believes in towing within the trucks recommended limits...figure the truck will last longer and it's safer, I have a little more peace of mind when towing my 5er.

do the research on your truck, buy a 5er that your truck will be able to handle safely...No doubt the Cummins is more than enough engine to handle lot's of heavy 5er's..BUT that isn't the only component in the equation when it comes to towing....suspension, tires, tranny, cooling system and all figure into design and engineering in building of our trucks...There are "margins" built in of course to protect the manufacturer from lawsuits, but I'm not smart enough to figure out when I've pushed those limits to the edge...I'm a firm believer in "better safe than sorry"....Do the research, do the math and you'll find a 5er that your truck will tow safely and efficiently..

Reactions: Veece07
1 - 20 of 29 Posts